Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Autozone A/C compressor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pauly383, Sep 2, 2005.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Anyone else have an Autozone A/C compressor lock up ?

I only bought it because my originals clutch quit . And the whole thing was 5 bucks more than the replacement clutch . I kept my original one and ate the 10 buck core .

Got 2 months out of it , Oh well , gonna warranty it and remove the clutch and put it on my original compressor which ran the same gas and worked flawlessly until the clutch died .

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Did you replace the accumulator and orifice tube when you replaced the compressor? If not, then they won't warranty the compressor for ya. :(

If the previous compressor grenaded, then you also need to flush out all of the lines, evaporator and condensor to get rid of the leftover metal particles. :eek1: Once the system is cleaned out, you have to put a couple of ounces of the proper oil in the compressor, and then add the proper amount of oil to the accumulator. Next, rotate the compressor BY HAND for at least 10 revolutions, to lubricate the compressor and move the oil through it, so that it doesn't suck up a slug of the oil that you poured into it. (If that happens while the engine is driving the compressor for the first time, the compressor will hydrolock and be damaged).

I got 7 years out of a rebuilt R4 compressor from Pep Boys. Already passed the 2-year mark on a "Factory Air" reman from Advance Auto Parts in another rig. Just installed another Factory Air reman to replace the one that finally died after 7 years.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like bad luck to me. I have an Autozone compressor that has worked fine for 2 years so far. Yours sounds like a POS.

4. pauly383

Honestly , no .

The original one didn't burn out , just the clutch died . So I just removed it and replaced it . The old 22 year ol dhose sprung a leak too , but there was some pressure when I removed the compressor . Used vacuum oil , and new gas from work .

If they won't warranty it , I guess I am buying a clutch for the original one .

I definitely need to replace that stuff now . I have seen them after a burn out , yuck .

Or , since its almost the end of summer , I won't worry about it .

Maybe its time for onboard air :wink1:

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Honestly man, do an accumulator and Orifice Tube when you put the old one back on. It will be worth your while. Wait till you have the dessicant in that thing blow out into the system and you have to fix the whole thing. You're going to have the system open, might as well do it. It's like $30 for the parts.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's what I did with mine. I flushed it also and vacummed it down as much as possible with a venturi.

7. pauly383

Going to replace it now . Dead compressor equals blacky floating crap in system .