Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Autozone ain't so bad... Accidental free stuff!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 7, 2007.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I dropped 4 quarts of oil, some replacement bulbs, and a can of Seafoam on the counter. There were 3 quarts of Valvoline (various weights, $3.xx each), and 1 quart of Mobil 1 ($8.9x each). The Seafoam was $7.

So as I went to put my little basket away, I heard the scanner beep 4 times and saw from the corner of my eye he scanned 1 cheap Valvoline 4 times. When I got back to the counter, he had my total up, and I pointed out the Mobil 1 was different and $6 more than the one he scanned. He said, "Yeah I got it, oh wait...Ah don't worry about it."
    So I paid (with cash, dammit :D) and he bagged the order, then saw the Seafoam, which I didn't realize he didn't ring. He said "Is this yours?", then said "Don't worry about it, have a nice night."
    Certain aspects of my life obligate me to be honest, not to mention that it's just the right thing to do.
    Plus, I know I'd have made a stink if he rung up the $9 Mobil 1 four times by accident, so I felt very awkward and like I was ripping them off. The guy was the manager, though, and I pointed it out to him and said I wanted to pay for them.

So anyway, I'm nuerotic and will probably go back there on the way to work tomorrow and pay for them, but for tonight, I saved $12 at Autozone! :haha: :haha:

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Honesty is the best policy. You passed this little test, and because you could be trusted with little things, be prepared for a bigger blessing and the trust of something larger.

Good job!

Manny

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thats why we love you Ratch.we need more people in the world like you. but if that was tha case who would we complain about???HA

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it will make you feel better, just send me the $12.:D

5. boggerless

wait, i never thought of that.:mad:

6. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha:

:bow: :bow: :bow: to my friend Ratch!

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i walked in one time with the wiper motor off of my 93 C1500, i had it off because there were supposedly 2 different styles. i go in, plop it down on the counter, and the guy brings me the new one, and i match it up. he prints out a reciept for a warranty exchange (i had never even owned a truck that new at that point with the exception of the one i was buying parts for), had my name on it and everything. was a zero balance ticket. i asked him if that was all i needed, causing him to look at the reciept again. he said "nope, you're all set." alrighty then... i snatched up my wiper motor and headed out the door. went immediately to another store and spent the $85.00 on accessories, rather than parts to fix the truck. :haha:

i felt bad about it for a minute, then thought about all the other parts they've screwed me on, and the idiots they hire to help customers. i got a little even. :D

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Nearly $9 for Mobil 1? :shocked: I was PO'd when I noticed that the price at the local Walmart had gone up from $5.24 to $5.68. :cool1:

9. boggerless

ALRIGHTY THEN.:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: thats great!

10. boggerless

i was gonna call ya a cheapskate. but i see you shop at wally world.:haha: :haha: :haha:

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It's motorcycle oil, friggin ridiculous that it's so much more than regular oil. I normally use the proper service class of automotive oil, but I couldn't find any and couldn't remember the interchangability, so I sucked it up to buy MC oil. I shouldn't complain, today I only paid $12 for 4 quarts. :rotfl:...
    That's just a little more than the Mobil 1 I use in the minivan...

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

actually the cashier was a robber who had everyone tied up in the back room while he pretended to run the register

if I know autozone that dude wont be there very long... they dont give stuff away

13. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I could have pulled it at Bass Pro Shops a couple weeks ago....the cashier rang my stuff up at around $200, I handed her my military ID to get my 10% discount, she made a crazy face and had to void the transaction and start off by entering the discount. The second time she finished it she rang me in at $110. I pointed out that she missed the $90 air matress.

I think this makes up for the time I got a free road atlas because the cashier was eyeballin my wife.:grin:

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm honest..to a point anyway!..

I've had clerks ring me up for far less than my merchandise came to before--I usually point out their mistake,and pay the correct amount..(this happens a lot at Wal-Mart,where the cashiers are sometimes "mentally challenged"..some shoppers take advantage of them,saying "well,if they hire THOSE people,they get what they deserve!"..:surepal: ..if it were THEIR kid,they would be singing a different tune though..:mad:

But I have my limits too...one day at McDonalds,I was told to go "park over there in that spot",and they would bring my food "right out to me"..I waited 15 minutes,and got more pissed by the second--I now had exactly 8 minutes to swallow my meal whole, and get back to my job 4 miles away!..when the lady finally came out with my food,I bit my tounge,and decided to at least eat the burger before having to race back to work..

Inside the bag was 4 Big Macs,4 large fries,4 apple pies,a cheeseburger,a quarter pounder,and a bunch of straws and napkins!(which I never seem to get at all!)..just as I was about to drive away,the lady comes running up to my car--I figured she'd realized the food wasn't what I ordered!--but she says "I'm sorry,I almost forgot the drinks!"--and she hands over 4 large Cokes!..:eek1:

I almost told her the truth--but after being screwed over at the same place about 20 times, when they didn't give me what I asked for,and didn't find out until I got back to work,and now being made late,and forced to swallow it whole--I said "Thank You" and drove off!...I had enough food to last 3 days!:D ..and figured now we're EVEN!...

You do have to wonder how places stay in bussiness though,with incompetent help giving stuff away unintentionally..I've returned a starter core to Auto-Zone for my friend that had a "duralast" sticker on it,and the girl at the counter gave me a full refund,thinking it was a "lifetime gaurantee" return!..but I did tell her it was a core--wouldn't want the best looking counterwoman getting fired on my account!..:crazy:

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

They make lots and lots of money. If you think of how much they actually gave away, not counting the markup, they didn't lose terribly much. On your Very-Happy meal, they probably lost $3 in materials, $15 in profit, but the profit loss isn't really a loss if it was never "gained". It gets more complicated than that, that's something for accountants and business people to figure out.

It's not killing them to accidentally give away a part now and then. If anything, it was actually better for them, cause now I'm going to hit Autozone before I hit Pepboys when I need the stuff they sell... They can write it off as a promotion...
    I had to get my tire patched this morning (#$%&ing neighbors), so I didn't go back there to pay for the stuff. I admit I probably never will, and I don't particularly feel proper about it.