Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AutoZone or NAPA

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by dbltapp, Aug 23, 2002.

1. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

My pwr steering box has crapped out and i can't decide between A-Zone and Napa. The price is about the same, but napa has a one year warranty, and A-Zone has a life time. The choice would seem to be obvious, but a lifetime warranty does me no good if i have to change them out every six months! Also, has anyone swapped out a box before? If so, how easy was it? Thanx all!!

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

From years of buying parts, go with the NAPA ones. They're not perfect but a whole lot better to deal with then the others, at least in my part of the country.

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I've never had much problem with my local autozone. as much as everyone makes fun of autozone, most the parts in my truck came from there, and with exception of getting 2 or 3 bad starters in a row, everything else has worked fine. if I had to guess, all the parts that all the autostores stock that are remanufactured, come from the same reman plant down in mexico.

you said it was the gearbox that died? I wouldn't immagine it'd be too hard to swap out, with exceptoipon of getting everything back in alignment, and that shouldn't be too hard either.

-Rich

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Changing out the box isn't that hard if you take out the inner fender well first. It also helps if there's some one to hold it up for you while you take the bolts out and put them back in. I've done it by myself before so it's not impossible. As far as lining up the steering just make sure everything is centered when you start. The steering arm only goes on one way. It has an index key to make sure it goes on right. The power steering lines only go on one way too. I think the high pressure line is bigger than the return line. There is only one change in the steering boxes over the years that I know of. Some time after '77 the hose ends changed from a flare fitting to a O-Ring style. I got mine from another member for free. He went to a cross over so he no longer needed it. You might want to post on the wanted board.

Good luck

5. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

Thanx for the help!

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Help holding it is a definate plus, but on mine, I cant see why I would remove the inner fender. Was no where near in my way. I did mine thought the fender well from the outside, not under the hood.

What are the Autoparts places charging you? I thought they were a couple hundered dollars for steering boxes? There are all kinds of people with used 4x4 ones that have swapped to cross over that can be bought real cheap.

Like me. :-)

Ken H.