Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Autozone remanufactured AC compressors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Catman, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Catman

Catman Registered Member

I just blew the 2nd remanufactured AC compressor from Autozone. Both times the unit froze up and burned through the drive belt. I'm now putting on a brand new one which runs about $120 more than the remans. To date, $150 for towing and $52 for new belts, and the original $155 for the crap compressor. Stay away from the remanufactured compressors!!! Even the counter guys at Autozone say they're worthless! I hope this helps some other members /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

My advice is to just stay away from Autozone. I have had too many bad experiences with them recently, in three different stores, from the quality of the parts to the lack of knowledge of the people behind the counter.
    I think the last straw was when 2 brand new ford starter solenoids welded shut when I was trying to start they truck they were on. I ended up burning my hands on the battery terminal and having to replace battery terminal, starter, and a mess of wires. Twice.
    I could go on, but, the stories just get worse, and I don't have an hour to type them all out.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

should be a hint to you when the guy selling you parts says that they're worthless...our autozone is one of the best chain stores in town..sure there's only 2 or 3 people that work there that know anything, but one of them is always there..and since i know what i need and how to use their computers...look it up yourself..ours is pretty well stocked too...btw were they "4 seasons" compressors?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Are you running R134? You do know that you only put 80% the capacity of R12 right?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I must agree out Autozone is aboutt he best place around. They have a bunch of guys and one of them usually knows something about your vehicle. PepBoys is worthless, they never give you the right stuff and Autozone is always cheaper. The still give you wrong stuff but a lot less than Pep Boys.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Napa auto parts have always been the best for me by far compared to all the other parts stores. They do mess up on part numbers sometimes but not as much as the other idiots. One of the best things about napa is they also carry ag equipment parts which probably doesn't matter much to you guys but for me as a farmer it sure is convieniant. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i dont know about you guys, but cant beat a lifetime warentee alternator and starter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. and i have knowlageable people at my store, and i cant say that all the parts are crap.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

what store is that? otterzone?

9. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

autozone sucks and most of the people at the store in my town dont know S**t . and if they cant find it in there computer they cant get it . I have a family owned parts store in my town and they guys there know everything and they also have a good machine shop that can build u anything and repair it too . there prices are sometimes a little more but when its right the first time it always worth it, any auto tech will tell u that or anyone that has anything better to do than take the wrong parts back to the parts store

Kevin= autozone hater /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Oops!! I didn't know that...prolly why I blew mine up. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

speaking of Pepchumps, i had needed some rubber hose for something a while back, so i walked in and asked the guy i need 2 feet of 1/2 hose. he asked did you want round hose?
    my response was what other kind is there!
    then there was the ol lady cashier telling me horry stories of the service dept. like the guy that brought his car in for an oil change, but ended up having to get his tranny replaced because they started to do the trans oil change, started taking the trans pan off, draining the oil and forgot to refill it!

12. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Some of the other Autozones weren't as bad as the ones around here, but I still don't trust any of their electrical parts. The starter may have a lifetime warranty on it, but I sure don't feel like pulling it out every month to replace it, or, even worse, having to get a tow home because of it.

The perfect example of one of the Autozones around here is this: I walked into the store on a not-too-busy evening, and handed the person on the other side of the counter a spark plug. I told her that I needed to go one step colder on the heat range, and she refused to give me anything other than what was listed in the computer for the stock engine in my truck. She even asked a couple of the guys around her, and no one had a clue as to what I needed. I tried to explain the whole "there's numbers on the side, bring me one with one number less" but she refused to comprehend. I don't think I ever went back to that particular store.

As I said, in my earlier post, I could go on forever with stories from my local stores.
    I go to O'Reilly's now.

13. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Depends on what time of day you go around here. But overall Napa is the best.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    iand i have knowlageable people at my store, and i cant say that all the parts are crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's because I used to work at the store that you go to all the time!

Guys, when you hit Autozone, look for anyone in a gray shirts. I'm not saying any non-management people are not any good (I was once there too) just that typically the way this company works, the good people become managers quickly (took me less than three months but that's blazing fast, even for AZ).

As for Autozone's parts, it honestly just depends what you get. If you go for the low-warranty Valuecraft stuff you get just that, total [I love Jeeps]. The Valuecraft pads don't even have anti-squeek shims included with them, and some of them are ORGANIC! They're the same pads that you get as the "Albany" brand in lifetime warranty most of the time, except with the Albany's you get anti squeek shims and they're always semi metallic. Those are manufacturered by Morse who makes pads for nearly every parts store.

If you want a name brand part, it is usually available, you just have to order it. I do it all the time. Raybestos brakes are available and carry a 1 year warranty. We can get you MSD or Accel wires. In fact, I can order anything Holley, Weiand, Lunati, or NOS makes right from the computer at the parts counter. We've got K&N air filters, Hooker, Headman, and Flowtech headers, Flowmaster, Comp Cams, Autometer and tons of other names you've heard of. Most idiots behind the counter just don't know how to get you the parts. I am the vendor direct order KING. I love getting to order stuff like that because I'm a hot rodder myself and I get to check out all the products that I may want to buy myself!!

As for the Alternators, the lifetime ones rarely come back. I've never seen a brand new unit "Duralast Gold" come back. I'm sure they do, but I have never seen it.

As for plugs, they've got nearly every brand you could want. Plug wires you've got the cheesy 2 year brand in 7mm, the Double Silicone 8mm wires with a lifetime warranty for a little bit more, and the Bosch for a little more, all in stock. For distributor caps and rotors, go for the gold line. They're thicker and have brass inserts.

IF YOU WANT GOOD PARTS, ASK FOR THEM! WE'RE GLAD TO SELL THEM TO YOU! 85% of customers are cheapasses so I don't bother giving them a sales pitch because I don't work on commission. I figure if they wanted good parts, they'd take my suggestions or ask for an opinion on a higher quality product.

I work for Autozone, but honestly, I have no particular liking for them. I don't shop there exclusively, and I didn't before I worked there either. They don't have Wix filters, they won't offer a lifetime warranty on anything but a house brand non-heavy duty clutch, and they have the weak cheesy Neapco U-joints instead of the HD ones.

Honestly, I prefer to tell customers like it is. I don't candy-coat things. I don't work on commission. I just try to give the customer the best part that they're willing to buy. Autozone offers some absolute trash so they always have the lowest price if that's all you're after...but they also nearly always offer a better product and a compeditive price.

Autozone is one of the most profitable companies in this country for a reason.

Just hopefully some dumbass at the parts counter doesn't ruin your experience. I hate working for Autozone but I really do enjoy shopping there because of the no-hassle warranty items and the fact that it's saved in the computer.

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    As for the Alternators, the lifetime ones rarely come back. I've never seen a brand new unit "Duralast Gold" come back. I'm sure they do, but I have never seen it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be taking mine back anyday now. It has a bad regulator. Fortunately, I run two alternators, so I have just been using the A/C Delco which has like 100,000 miles on it and I disconnected the Duralast Gold which has like 4,000 miles on it. But I got it for the lifetime warranty, not the reliability.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Like I said...I didn't say they don't come back.

I personally have a rebuilt alternator in my big truck that I got rebuilt for $43 when I was 16 (I'm almost 20 now) and it still works great. I would never spend what the parts stores get for an alternator, especially not one as generic as the GM ones on our trucks. IIRC, they're like $140.

17. Catman

Catman Registered Member

Thanks for the input. Yes, I'm running R134 and at 80%. My bitch was not Autozone, just the remanufactured AC compressors. They called this morning and have the brand new one in. Hopefully I'll have AC before the first snow flakes fall in this corner of the Hi Desert!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

18. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Okay I have to get on this, I too work for Autozone, but I know my [I love Jeeps]. I do realize that not all stores hire quality employees, but don't label the compeny for one idiots ignorance. I won't deny that autozone sells some crappy part, but you get what you pay for and most of the people we deal with don't know there ass from a hole in the ground, so when someone who is actually knowledgable comes in we are kind of stunned. I personally enjoy my job and some to be a manager too and I have been with them for a month. The biggest thing is walk in the door and say you need to talk to someone who knows aboout the vehicle you are working on. We also carry alot of high quality parts, most of the lifetime warranty suspension parts may say they are made by one company, but if you look closely on the box they are actually made by Dana/Spicer. The only spark plug we don't carry is NGK and most of them are for imports anyway. I just thoguht I would drop in my 2 cents.

Krennen

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Imports, motorcycles, and marine applications all seem to call for NGK often. I usually recommend Denso for the imports, they seem quite popular even in the OEM. For motorcycles it's a miracle if we've even got the plug. For marine, AC, Champion, and Motorcraft make plenty of stuff. I don't care for Bosch at all, but many people like the $2 platinums and go for it anyway.

I suppose we have no Autolite plugs either, but nobody drives Dodges anymore anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for us carrying some high quality parts, I definitely agree. Sometimes you get what you pay for, but sometimes the cheap parts are really the expensive parts with a lesser warranty (especially with the suspension parts).

Even as an employee, it's hard to tell what's really in the box. Most of it is re-badged long before we get it. I try to stay on top of things with that though. I'll be damned if their re-boxing is gonna fool me.