Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Autozone Warranty

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Interesting. My lifetime warranty power steering gearbox from Autozona says it excludes damage caused by off-road use. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif That's not much of a warranty then, is it? I'm not sure how they'd know, but still.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They're not going to ask.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Just clean off all the mud when you want to return it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Amen Brother.... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. mudgirl1972

mudgirl1972 Registered Member

they don't care, i used to be a asst manager at the one here in town, we don't ask unless it looks like it got the crap beat out of it. hell most of the cores they take aren't even the right cores, same with oriellys.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They should care. They're a huge company so they don't really care if they get the wrong core, or an incomplete core, or a warranty claim for something that is still good though.

Hell half the idiots that work there can't even test a starter or alternator. I always used to test them and send them back out the door if they were good.

I've often wondered how everyone can bring stuff back and call it, "defective" when it is indeed all still good, and they are the most profitable business in America, eating all of those warranty claims.

Not a bad place to work, overall. But tolerating all those stupid warranty claims is stupid loss of profit IMO.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Its also frustrating to guy woring on the "Whatever". Take a part back to store and say "I think this is bad, can you test it?" They say "Yep, its bad" and get a new part. Then, the person doing the work becomes EXTREMELY frustrated trying to figgure out why things still don't work right.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well if you're too stupid to put a voltmeter to your battery before you take an alternator back to the store, or check your battery cables because your starter won't turn, you're a moron anyway.

You shouldn't need the guy behind the counter to tell you whether that part is good or not, you should know before you come in, unless it is a solid state device like a module where you'll need him to test it.

All you need is a voltmeter to check your alternator, and a pair of jumper cables and a 12 v battery or a battery charger to check a starter. If you can't do this before you attempt to return it, you shouldn't be wrenching anyway.

9. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

How do you tell if a starter is drawing too many amps by using only a battery and a set of jumper cables? I know you can tell if it turns etc., but how do you check the draw without a meter?

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How do you tell if a starter is drawing too many amps by using only a battery and a set of jumper cables? I know you can tell if it turns etc., but how do you check the draw without a meter?

[/ QUOTE ]

the starter testing machine at most Auto Zone stores wont tell you how many amps its drawing either. basically, every one i've seen is just a 12v power supply, a la battery charger. its got a little wiring harness that plugs into it, to allow them to engage the starter without crossing terminals with a screwdriver or jumper cable lead, like you might do at home.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Well if you're too stupid to put a voltmeter to your battery before you take an alternator back to the store, or check your battery cables because your starter won't turn, you're a moron anyway.

You shouldn't need the guy behind the counter to tell you whether that part is good or not, you should know before you come in, unless it is a solid state device like a module where you'll need him to test it.

All you need is a voltmeter to check your alternator, and a pair of jumper cables and a 12 v battery or a battery charger to check a starter. If you can't do this before you attempt to return it, you shouldn't be wrenching anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ...and people wonder why I don't normally shop at AZ. You shoud be the company's customer service rep. You have the same mentality as most of the counter jockeys that AZ hires. Back when I was in high school and had the same job you hold now, the boss would fire employes w/ that attitude on the spot.

BTW,I guess you changed your mind on that turning over a new leaf deal, huh? That one you were all proud of when you posted about it, saying how you wouldn't fly off the handle and make personal attacks. Or did you forget you posted that on here? I guess "Once a dumass, always a dumbass" applys here as it does to the rest of you life.

12. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

??? a voltmeter that says you have 14 volts doesnt tell you if the alt puts out any amps. thats a silly reply

and jumper cables and a good battery doesnt tell you jack.
    ask bowtie blazer how we uses 3 batteries for 36 volts for over an hour on my starter thinking it was bad. jumper cables melted down and i proved to myself that jumper cables and good batteries are NOT good for starter tests.
    good batteries and battery cables are good for starter tests

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ??? a voltmeter that says you have 14 volts doesnt tell you if the alt puts out any amps. thats a silly reply

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not true.

Ohm's Law states:

"In a DC circuit, the current is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance."

http://www.djsociety.org/Ohms%20Law.htm

Simply put it is impossible to have voltage in a circuit without current flow unless resistance is high, which in this case would most likely be a wiring problem between alternator and battery.

So in your case, your statement is totally false.

I have had customers argue with me on this issue, but I'm sorry, an alternator that will make 14 volts on a test bench and the diodes pass the test is not defective.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the starter testing machine at most Auto Zone stores wont tell you how many amps its drawing either. basically, every one i've seen is just a 12v power supply, a la battery charger. its got a little wiring harness that plugs into it, to allow them to engage the starter without crossing terminals with a screwdriver or jumper cable lead, like you might do at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not true either. The test bench does indeed tell you how many amps a starter motor is pulling and the specs detirmine whether the unit is good or not as a result.

In reference to the above post about my turning over a new leaf.....

If stating electrical fact which the most basic electronic student will understand in his first semester of class makes me an ass, so be it.

I am trying to state this as nice as possible and I will search and find other sources if you don't want to hear it from me.

Electricity is simple--any circuit no matter how simple or difficult can be verified with algebra. Once you understand how the formulas work just plug in the numbers and the reality is in front of you.

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

Electricity is simple--any circuit no matter how simple or difficult can be verified with algebra.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since we're correcting people, /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif let me point out that Algebra alone explains only the simplest of electrical activity. Real-world circuits involve more than just voltage sources and resistors in steady-state.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Electrical law cannot be broken no matter how complex the circuit is. As with any science, a law is established fact and is reguarded as such.

The equation may get more complex, but the facts remain the same.

17. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Okay, before you start dropping the AZ hires morons stereo-type, you need to think about it. I myself work for AZ and I am damn good at my job, and no attitude unless provoked.

I do agree that TIm is not helping the bad image that AZ has, sorry Tim, but facts are facts, your attitude sucks ass /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif.

With that said, please remember that not all AZ employees are Tim, there are still some good counter jockeys left, just have to look. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Krennen

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't work for Autozone anymore anyway, I work for a real parts store.

My facts are just that. Facts. Do some reading on electrical law if you don't believe me.

Of course there's no way I could have any parts counter ability because my attitude, "sucks ass." /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

19. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Here is thet whole ohm's law algebra thing for yah :P Now everyone can see what your discussing /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[​IMG]

20. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is thet whole ohm's law algebra thing for yah :P Now everyone can see what your discussing /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMMM, made me hungry for some pizzaaaaaaaa! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif