Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aux Batt Tray...was it ever an option?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5 NUTT, Dec 30, 2003.

1. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Working on father in laws 72 K5...need to know if there was ever a factory option for a aux battery tray..and if so where i might find such critter...

DW

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes i know it was optional for 67-72 pickups and 1 tons anyways, but i dunno on k5's, if you want the GM RPO code for it then i could look it up for you,

junkyard or gmc pauls parts is where to find them, or just make one, wouldnt be hard to make one out of some sheetmetal.,..

good luck

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Was trying to avoid the make one route...73 up gm's had extra dimples in the sheetmetal were the option would go...so why re invent the wheel is my point...does gmc pauls have a web site.

DW

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

http://gmcpauls.com

making one out of a few simple pieces of metal would be cakewalk, but if you want ot spend money on one then go to above URL, might have to email him to see if he has one, im not seeeing it listed right now

5. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

no one remakes them now I just bought one for 60 plus shipping from some one the going ebay rate is almost 100. 67-72chevytrucks.com brothers has posted saying they may have them reproduced but it will be a while.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup I have one in my K5. It was not original for my K5. I got it years ago at blazernet.com, this site is long gone. One of the members at the time had a few of them that he pulled from 68-72 pickups. The tray looks just like the passinger side one but reversed. I did have to dril one hole in the rad suport but the other 3 holes were already there.
    They are out there but just hard to find. I think I gave him 40 bucks for it if memory servs....
    Good luck

7. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I might be on crack, but I seem to recall LMC or GMCpaul's having a multi peice battery tray which bolted together. It looked exactly like the original except not welded together. It could be assembled in reverse and used on either side.
    I guess another option is to cut the welds on an existing one and reweld it backwards, but you'll need to throw in some spacers/washers here and there to mount it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

My old '72 K5 had the auxillary battery option listed on the tag so they were available for K5s. FYI.

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I actually got lucky and found via the 47-98 chevy board...bead blasted and powder coated...gonna have it shipped to the house from WA for $100.

DW