Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auxiliary Battery Tray

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Sep 19, 2006.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I decided to replace the brutal home built tray the PO had installed with a GM unit. It seems to only have one bolt attaching the tray to the support. Which would allow the tray to flop around off road.

The obvious solution is to add another bolt but there really is no room for one that wouldn't interfere with the battery, anyone, maybe diesel owners dealt with this?:confused:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Factory drivers side tray has 4 bolts holding it in place...none go into the core support. Two upper bolts go into the inside of the fender, and two attach to the inner fender contour with bolts coming in from below into weld nuts on the tray itself.

All four mounting locations on my truck have bolts in em, and although it isn't rusted the tray itself is on the carport floor (with all four mount points busted off). My experience with the factory trays hasn't been great. If you spend anytime on washboard roads they take a pounding, fatigue at the mounts and then the mount points break off allowing the battery to flop around.

The passenger side tray did the same thing...which was why i relocated my batteries into custom inset boxes behind the front seats.

Oddly enough i have no more fender creaks and squeaks, and I will never have to worry about flopping batteries again.

Rene

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

What year of front clip are we talking about

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I was just going to ask Rusty the same thing, mine is '76.

The tray is separate from the support, the support does bolt on to the inner fender (one bolt) the rad support (two bolts) and the outer fender (two bolts).

And unlike the later models, the passenger and drivers side aren't mirror images of each other, they are totally different, well at least on my truck.

http://lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/t144.html far right middle is what I have.

5. tRustyK5

my bad, got them from the diesel donor truck i pillaged. '83 front clip.

Mine is the far right lower on that catalog page. You'll note they aren't actually mirror images of each other. The drivers side tray is part #2 in that sketch.

Rene

6. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

So Rene is that in your '81? If so then I should be able to use the same tray in my truck right? I've got that tray in my suburban maybe I should switch...

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The 81-91 are an mirror of the main one... There are 2-bolts that come thru the inner fender well and 2- bolts that go into the fender...

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I just used the appropriate left diesel tray from LMC, they shipped a GM part.:D

9. tRustyK5

'81 is the same front clip as the '83. '81 was the first year for the new front clip...

Rene

10. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Crap. Oh well I guess I'll figure something out. Thanks guys.