Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Avalanche High Steer arms for D60 - anyone using them?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I am looking into a new Crossover Arm for a Dana 60. Do any of you know much about the Avalanche setup? I figured since I have to buy an arm - I might as well go for the leg too. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I am wondering, do I need the spacers for a Dana 60 GM application with 6" springs? Does ORD make these too? Just looking for options. Lets see your High Steer setups and list where you bought your parts. Prices would help too.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm running the passenger side AV arm, Ford Van Pitman, home made drag link and tie rod. I don't think you'll need the spacer but, not sure. $6 for the pitman arm, over $6 a foot for DOM tubing, Avalanche inserts for the rods, and the arm. That's pretty much it other than the Dodge TRE I bought to eliminate the stabilizer hole...

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Hey Russ, what are the details on that Ford van Pitman arm? Are you using the OE taper in it, and I would assume it tucks up close to the frame?

I run a very early version of the Avalanche arm, works fine for me. I would reccomend locktiting the bolts/studs/nuts, and torquing them to spec. Pitman arm is off a Scout, with the end cut off, and a new hole drilled for a heim joint.

Pete

4. BadDog

A friend (Mat - NoRulz) hooked me up with a reamer to open the Ford hole up to GM 1 ton DLE size. It slides right under the frame like it was made to fit that exact application.

5. Mudzer

I already have a Superlift SUP-1104 arm and a Rockstomper dropped draglink, so I am good to go there. Just need to go with the steering arm or arms on the D60.

Anybody here use the High Steer arms for both sides and have moved your tie rod above the springs?

6. BadDog

Steve Fox for one. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I remember some others but the names don't come to me right now... Must get more coffee......

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

not sure of your backspacing, but to regain or increase your ackerman it may be better to rear steer when going high steer.
    that is if you are a believer in ackerman steering

8. Mudzer

I have gave it some thought. I am hoping to go with 2" backspacing on the rims.

9. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I sent you a P.M. with 3.5" backspacing all I had to grind was the caliper up to the mounting bracket. No bracket grinding at all. Took me about an hour to grind both sides going very slow and careful to make em look nice. I took about 1/8 to 1/4" off of just that small part of the caliper. I say small, it was about 1 to 1.5" wide. I drew a line from one mounting ear to another on the caliper and ground down from the line out. Did a little bit at a time and it worked like a champ. I had to remove none of the mounting ear or the mounting hardware for the caliper. I have no worries about the strength of it. Its WIDE with 3.5", Another 3" would be monster wide.

Depdog

10. Mudzer

Hey Depdog,

Do you know if Keith's Avalanche Arms are the Heim style or DRE? I think they have started making them soley for a 5/8" Bolt instead of being reamed for the DRE.

Thanks for the info! How is the swap going? Any pics yet?

11. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Sunray Eng. made mine. Very tough. They don't have all of the holes drilled in them, but they custom make them so you don't need that. The arms would not be that hard to make. Probably have a machine shop do it for 1/2 the cost of Avalanche. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Keith has arms from RockStomper.

On the Avalanche arms, on their site it says they are for Bolts or Heim Joints ONLY. I noticed that Steve has TRE's on his though.

Depdog

13. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

I run Av arms and wagonermachine tierod & drag link with 4" springs.I would say you do need the spacers.I run the tierod in the rear and the draglink in front.I just finished it 9/19,so I dont really know how its going to work yet.The only problem I see is now my draglink & tierod are close to hitting each other when Im flexed up.If so I may need to fab a pitman arm.

14. BadDog

The web site is wrong. When (if) you order, just tell them TRE taper...

15. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I need to go down to Avalanche and take some pics, they are just down the street from me, they redesigned the 44 and 60 arms a little bit, also they only have 5 holes instead of 7, if you use the spacers they have an interlocking design now.