Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Avalanche steering arm - Heim vs. DLE vs TRE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Oct 23, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I was doing a seach on hi-steer to help decide what route to go for my crossover.
    I like the Avalanche steering arm the best, but the web site says that it uses only heim joints.

Avalanche steering arm

From what I could tell from my search, a lot of you guys are running this arm but using either TREs or DLEs. What gives?

Also... looking at getting the Superlift pitman arm #1104, so I should probably be getting a steering arm that takes a DLE, since that's what the pitman arm will take, right?

-- Mike

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that pitman is tapered for the tie rod size, not the 2026 or 2027 draglink ends

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

You can get the Avalanche arm in Heim or TRE form. Just request the option you want. Personally I haven't been happy with the Avalanche arm. I twisted it up like a pretzel on my first outing. I have to find the pics....

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think that Steve Fox is using the drag link ends and they keep bending. They're so long that they become the weak spot in the tie rod. There was just a long post about it maybe a week or so ago.

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You bent a Dana 60 ARM? I have not heard of anyone bending the 60 arm at all, I have heard of some people bending the D44 arm and that is why Avalanche redesigned them. If your going to make a statement like that please specify the facts so we know what you are talking about. IE D44 or D60

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

It would be nice to have the opportunity to bend a 60 arm, but no, I have a 44. It's real easy to see how/why the 44 arm bends and the 60 doesnt. Just take a look at the two and you'll see why.

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.