Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

avalanche steering arms

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, May 2, 2002.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

i have the avalanche angles steering arm on my truck for hiem joints. I just bent one of them using itunder normal drving. I have talked to someone on pirate who broke this same arm. I just hope this helps when someone is looking to go to crossover steering. I do not recomend this arm

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got one, seems beefy enough. What happened? Got pictures? Yours D60 or D44? Seems like Avalanche is slipping. Their service (to me) left allot to be desired and several people now are posting with product problems...

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Dana 44? What happened? The guy on Pirate had a problem with the spacers he was using (holes to big) that caused the failuer, for the long story call Cliff. Avalanche is going to redesign their arms soon, and they will incorporate a locking system when used with a spacer (I didn't need one) as well as lose the furthest two holes and some other cool stuff with the studs to make them stronger, not sure when though.

4. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

My arm was for a d44, it bent where the closest hole is to the knuckle. Im going to call tom and see if the will replace it.
    I was not using a spacer.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Go check out the thread on www.pirate4x4.com - good, long discussion about the customer service aspect, and more importantly the bent arm issue. I have no opinion on AE, but am glad I went with ORD's - knowing I'll get the support and service.

6. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I hope the Dana 60 arms are beefier. That's what I was planning on using. Maybe you got a one on a million defected part.

7. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

just talked to a person at avalanche. He said the reason it bent is my front suspension is too flexy. I think that is b/s i have a 6 in rough country lift and 37's. Anyways he told me to buy a new arm and put limiting straps on the front. Im think im going to be a new one, but this time it wont be from them

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

This doesn't make me feel good...! I've got one of these arms that I'm just bolting up to my Buggy.

The Avalanche rep told you the "suspension's too flexy...?!?" Get real..! This comes from the guys who sell "mega travel" kits and have competition crawlers with gobs of wheel travel...??

I too would like to see some pics of the damaged part. I remember upon receiving mine that I was surprised at how slight it was... but figured that Avalanche had done their homework!

Marv

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

That is weird, I have the D60 arms with hydro assist, no problems yet but I will let you know if I do.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

just talked to a person at avalanche. He said the reason it bent is my front suspension is too flexy

<hr></blockquote>

Um, that is scary, to think that a company that sells specialized off road stuff in this day and age of flex said that.........../forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

11. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

I have been running there D60 steering arms with a one inch block for awhile now and I have not had any problems. Also there coustomer service has always been good. Dont believe everything you hear. Clifton has always helped me with everything.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Did your arm bend because the heim that you were using bottomed out? Drag link ends can handle a much higher misalignment angle before they bottom out than a heim. Were you using any misalignment spacers?

13. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

Yes the heim had to have bottomed out. I am using 1/2 in misalignment spacers and he said the only way to keep this from happening was to put limiting straps on the front

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Diod you have a cone washer to let the heim move more?

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you really want to use a heim you will have to do something about that!...and a limiting strap is a lame idea! You need to call and order a catalog form Heim or Aurora bearing catalog. They will list all the mis-alignment angles of the stuff they sell.

Then go w/ a heim w/ a larger bore and run some mis-alignment spacers that fit inside of the bore (and make it to the same size as the bolt you were using before). There should be pics of what I'm talking about in the catalogs.
    http://www.aurorabearing.com/index.shtml