Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Average heights for people.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, May 30, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Anyone know what the average height for a person (men and women) is now, verses say during the 1950's or earlier?

We have a couple camp trailers from the mid 1950's era, and I have to duck to go through the door, and I'm only 5'9".

2. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Average height in the US is currently 5'9.5" for males. People have always been the same height genetically, it was malnutrition and urban decay that was responsible for people being shorter in earlier times. I'm not sure how tall the average was in the 50's though.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've heard that people are growing taller now due to things like Bovine Growth Hormone or something like that. Another side effect is that kids are hitting puberty much earlier, but that's neither here nor there... </font>

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Wanna know how they make Bovine Growth Hormone? They take thousands of butchered Cow pituitary glands and put them in a blender and mix them up. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif My wife has to make the stuff for some of her research in a Cystic Fibrosis lab. She said it is very nasty. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

The average height of a democrat is about 2 inches...

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The average height of a democrat is about 2 inches...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that height or length?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Well here in CALIFORNICATE YA it's al little different.. We are actually in height debt. We are prolly about 750 feet below sea level in Height Debt... We would have to borrow height from Iran in order to get out of height debt now. And I don't think they like us too much... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

To say that average height for a man is 5' 9.5" is misleading, although true.
    That figure is come about including older people - the same shorter people that we are comparing against. The average height for a 20-30 something male is higher than 5' 9.5".
    Just making a point.
    -- Mike

9. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I must be above average then, 6'2". Since I'm tall, doe's it make me above average intelligence too? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, tall peeps isnt a new thing. I remember reading some books about Frederick the Great and they were talkin about how armies back then used to recruit "giants" (ie really big guys) and form them into special units (mainly for show to foriegn dignitaries). Anyway, some of these guys were over 7' tall... so I guess freaky-tall peeps aint a new thing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

im 6'1" im a little taller than most of my friends. my girlfriend is 5'6" and shes taller than all of her friends except for 1 or 2