Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Average price for a tranny rebuild 700-R4?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scott87, Mar 22, 2002.

1. scott87

scott87 Registered Member

I may be in need of a tranny rebuild. What would be an average price for rebuilding a 700-R4?

Symptoms are happening at highway speeds. Feels like it lurches between 3rd and 4th gear, but it will still accelerate. I think its the torque convertor, but want to be prepared for the worst.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Is the fluid clean? When was the last time it was changed?
    A piece of crud or a sticking valve can cause shift problems between 3rd and 4th gears. Or it may be the torque convertor lockup clutch slpping.
    A rebuild can cost from 800 for a basic rebuild and up to 1800 for a performance job.
    I would drop the pan and check things out before you go with a rebuild. look for pieces of metal or black chunks. It you find either it is in need of a rebuild.

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

if you can do the labor, you can get a gm reman with warranty for about 1200 or a raptor for 1500, and after having trannies rebuilt i would never do it again when a gm warranty is about the same cost. thenm if something goes wrong you can take it to any dealer in the country for repairs. plus you could get a local shop to install pretty cheap. i paid 1000 to have engine tranny and xfer case swapped, and that included a new 100amp alt and all the fluids and gaskets

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just picked up our 77 SUB today. It was $1197.96 form Kelly's in Phoenix. 562 parts, 600 labor. 12/12 warrenty. Includes new heavy duty Torque Convertor and resealing the Transfer case. ( It is a 89 700r4 swapped in with the 89 TBI )

5. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

IF ANY ONE IS AROUND AUSTIN TX. I HAVE A GUY THAT WILL DO IT FOR ABOUT $500-$600 BUT YOU PULL THE TRANS. THAT IS WITH T/C

6. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Registered Member

My 1st 700 I rebuilt it for $130 plus converter, but it only lasted 5 months. I thought it was me so I had a shop rebuild the next 2. My 2nd 700 cost me $400 and it lasted 3 months. My 3rd cost me $550 and it lasted about 3months. Just depends on where you live. I got tired of all the hassle and threw in a 350 pos that works when it wants to. I think my next 700 will be a raptor or something that can handle my right foot. It should cost like $1200 I think or something in that range. Oh and pulling it yourself is well worth the money. Most shops charge a arm and a leg just for the pull and install.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

or get a built Jet/Raptor/Carr and not worry about a rebuild... thats what I did. My factory 700 was belly up... i wasnt about to put $750-1000 into it if I can get a high perf one for $1500-ish.

J

8. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

yeah don't do what I did..I think I paid 1700 for a BUILT rebuild....

Next time raptor and I DO THE WORK!

Good luck