Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Av's fans?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, Mar 9, 2004.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Av\'s fans?

My thoughts and prayers go out to Steve Moore after the Vancouver/Colorado game last night. What Bertuzzi did to him last night was beyond sickening, and made me ashamed to be a fan of the Vancouver Canucks. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm all for a good physical game, hard hitting, and even the occasional fight...that's Hockey. When a player does not want to 'go' (for whatever reason) there should be a modicum of respect for that...not a cheap sucker punch from behind. I wish Bertuzzi played anywhere but here right now.

Rene

2. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

Re: Av\'s fans?

I AM AN AV'S FAN. Burpuzzi is a punk. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Just like Claude Lemuix and Marty McSorly /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Prayers for Steve Moore.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My thoughts and prayers go out to Steve Moore after the Vancouver/Colorado game last night. What Bertuzzi did to him last night was beyond sickening, and made me ashamed to be a fan of the Vancouver Canucks. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm all for a good physical game, hard hitting, and even the occasional fight...that's Hockey. When a player does not want to 'go' (for whatever reason) there should be a modicum of respect for that...not a cheap sucker punch from behind. I wish Bertuzzi played anywhere but here right now.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stopped following hockey closely for a few years, but I saw what happened last night. That Bertruzzi guy might as well head back to the juniors. There's no way he could play in Colorado again, for any team after a stunt like that.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I though this post was about Audio/Visual nerd stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Anyway, I obviously do not follow hockey, so what happened? Fight get outta hand? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

This Bertruzzi guy skated up behind a Colorado Avalanche player, dropped the stick, sucker punched him in the face and went down on top. The CO player got a broken neck.

Very bad blood between the teams........

6. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

If Bertuzzi ever plays again, he might as well trade in his number for a bullseye. His ass is grass!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. tRustyK5

Just a black day for hockey...

The prognosis for Steve Moore apparently is good, but he will be in hospital here for some time yet. He has a couple of fractured vertabrae in his neck, but no spinal cord damage.

Bertuzzi had been yapping at Moore up and down the ice just before the incident and clearly wanted a piece of him. Moore wanted no part of Bertuzzi...

Bertuzzi grabbed Moore's jersey by the numbers on his back, pulled Moore back with his left and sucker-punched Moore from behind. The punch put Moore out cold on his skates, but before that was apparent Bertuzzi had driven him down to the ice smashing his face and landing on him. Moore was absolutely motionless and unconcious on the ice for over 10 minutes as both teams doctors worked on him and removed him on a spine board and stretcher.

As for Bertuzzi being a target, who cares? Quite frankly it will likely be well into October or November before he plays again if the league does it's job.

Rene

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

why doesnt the league ban him forever? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    why doesnt the league ban him forever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple of reasons...

1. Bertuzzi isn't a 'goon', it's not his role or job and he doesn't have a track record of doing this sort of thing.

2. There have been many other incidents as bad as this...involving players of marginal talent and having a worse 'record' and suspensions have been in the 15-23 game range.

3. Until this incident Bertuzzi was considered a premier power forward, star player, etc etc, not some fringe player.

It'll be interesting to see what the actual suspension will be. The consensus seems to be he'll miss the rest of the season at a minimum. By doing so he will forfeit over $1 million (which goes to the NHL player alumni association)

Rene

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

yeah its a fine line for the league.....by nature hockey is a rough contact sport, otherwise it would just be ice soccer, however they need to keep the game within certain boundaries so it doesnt turn into all star wrestling or roller derby. I think they have done an excellent job of keeping the game as pure as possible over the years.

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    why doesnt the league ban him forever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple of reasons...

1. Bertuzzi isn't a 'goon', it's not his role or job and he doesn't have a track record of doing this sort of thing.

2. There have been many other incidents as bad as this...involving players of marginal talent and having a worse 'record' and suspensions have been in the 15-23 game range.

3. Until this incident Bertuzzi was considered a premier power forward, star player, etc etc, not some fringe player.

It'll be interesting to see what the actual suspension will be. The consensus seems to be he'll miss the rest of the season at a minimum. By doing so he will forfeit over $1 million (which goes to the NHL player alumni association)

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

For starters, I'm an Av's fan. Has something to do with me living in Colorado /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

However, you can't overlook the fact the there was common knowledge that the team had a bounty out for Moore due to last weeks (or maybe 2 weeks ago) game. For that, I'd say some responsibility should lie on the coach. I'm not saying that Bertuzzi intentially broke Moore's neck; but I don't think picking a fight with a player who was going to remain calm no matter what was right. Maybe Bertuzzi was just trying to make a name for himself within his team. Kinda like gang initiation.

I like the aggresive nature in hockey. This is what got me hooked. I have no problem with fights. Ther can really turn a game around. However, it seams over the past few years, there has been that one instance wher it just went too far or got out of hand. Those players should be made examples of. Will this ruin hockey - HELL NO!! But, it's just gonna make calls by the refs a little closer for a few weeks.

Anyways, once again the Vancouver Police are looking into charges. I doubt they will stand, as they didn't with McSorly either.

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That was cheap, everyone agrees, including Bertuzzi.

He is not a goon, what I think broke Moore's neck was Bertuzzi (245 lbs) landing awkwardly on Moore. Shame it happened, Bertuzzi now is out for the season and playoffs, if not longer. I hope Moore makes a full and complete recovery.

I played hockey from 6 years of age to almost 28. Hockey is a game of emotion. Fights happen. Personally I have lost interest in the game in the past decade or so because of the clutching, grabbing, obstruction type defense traps. The days of the 80's were far more entertaining when you had guys like Guy Lafleur flying down right wing, Dave Schultz being a goon, players withOUT helmets and more fights, and much less of this mugging took place. It was rougher, tougher, and way more entertaining to me.

My opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

anyone know where i can see what happened cuz i missed it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

14. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I doubt they will stand, as they didn't with McSorly either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, McSorly was charged, stood trial, was convicted and was sentenced to 18 months probation...jail time would have been inappropriate (IMO) Frankly I think the charges were inappropriate, as they would be in this case if they do charge him.

12 games, plus play-offs, $250,000 USD fine against the Canucks team, and a review before training camp in the fall to re-evaluate the situation and decide if and when Bertuzzi will be allowed to play again. Minimum forfeit of salary will be $501,000 USD.

Frank, there are still teams that play a very exciting style of hockey today, ironically Vancouver and Colorado are two of the more exciting teams to watch and most nights it WFO end to end hockey. To see either team playing at it's best is a treat, and is also one of the reasons they are rivals.

Rene

15. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Actually, McSorly was charged, stood trial, was convicted and was sentenced to 18 months probation...jail time would have been inappropriate (IMO) Frankly I think the charges were inappropriate, as they would be in this case if they do charge him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this. Anyway, despite what happened with McSorly, Bertuzzi, and others, I don't think the Police should be getting involved.

What's next, the loser of a boxing match has the winner charged with Assault?

Sports are sports. I say let the League deal with it however they see appropriate. You can never make everyone happy; but you can find some middle ground and fairness.

Anyway, gl;ad to see my AV's were back strong mast night. They did some last minute trading and looks like another fair run for the Cup /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

16. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this. Anyway, despite what happened with McSorly, Bertuzzi, and others, I don't think the Police should be getting involved.

What's next, the loser of a boxing match has the winner charged with Assault?

Sports are sports. I say let the League deal with it however they see appropriate. You can never make everyone happy; but you can find some middle ground and fairness.

Anyway, gl;ad to see my AV's were back strong mast night. They did some last minute trading and looks like another fair run for the Cup /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, the VPD need to lose their publicity driven agenda and step away from the collective crack pipe.

Hopefully both teams can let this whole thing die, fortunately they don't meet again in the reg season, and if they do meet in the play-offs I just hope it's a hard fought but honorable series.

Rene

17. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

I saw the video on sportcenter.And it was horrible.How could you say the police shouldnt get involved.
    what about a situation like that tonya harding moron?She didnt deserve what she got?Or how about if you are attacked from behind during a basketball game because you dunked on someone.What that guy did was in fact assult.if they were on a froazen lake playing a pickup game instead of in an arena would he not get charged with assult because its just hockey?If your man enough to hit someone in the back of their head when they arnt looking then your man enough to get charged with assult.The PD of other cities need to be involved more so that idiots dont ruin the integrity of the game.Hell if you paid for a ticket that night you would be pissed becaue it stopped the game for im sure at least 30 min. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifAnd your right in boxing they dont get charged with assult because they expect to get hit.If a boxer hit a guy while he was on the ground already or do something out of the rulebook that could hurt someone yeah i think thats assult.