Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aw Fudge... speaker fix?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by CaptCrunch, Mar 30, 2001.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

This morning I hauled some crap in my Blazer and low and behold my stupid @ss didn't take out the sub box... and I now have a small hole in the rubberized compound around the sub [​IMG]. The cone is fine and it still works... but what can I do to repair it? Patch it w/ something or just have it fixed at a speaker place... or am I SOL all together?

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am not sure how well it works but i have seen people use a small amount of silicone to fix small holes or tears

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It sounds like the rubber surround is what got punctured. If the hole is small you could probably patch it with something flexible. If the tear is too large, the patch will probably be too big and heavy and will either continue to fall off, or it will add too much stiffness to what is supposed to be a flexible part of the speaker.

The main thing seems to be keeping the tear from getting bigger, and also to seal the back wave of the speaker from the front. The pressurized air rushing back and forth through that hole will probably "whistle" and will also tend to enlarge the hole over time.

I know that for home speakers, there are companies that will replace old, decayed foam surrounds on speakers. If the speaker is expensive enough, maybe this is justified. If not.....chaulk it up to experience, buy a new speaker (and a couple of good metal grilles to protect them better next time)

Most of us have BTDT when it comes to puncturing a speaker....I have had my share of screwdriver-shaped holes when I was rushing to get a speaker installed. I've also launched my share of voicecoils, but that's another story! [​IMG]

Good Luck!

-Greg72

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Put some silicone on it.

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well it is a tempary setup just so I have tunes... working on some side panel type things... I think I'm gonna try RTV because it is more like a tear then a hole. I have grills sitting in the garage, but yes was too hurried to throw them on too...DOH! It's a RF 12" DVC so it is a decent chunck of change.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Talk to a local home audio or car-fi shop and see if they know of a shop in your area that re-cones speakers...meaning just re-doing the surrounds. I've had a shop do a few sets of speakers and it usually runs in between $25-$40 per sub. The speakers I have taken in are pretty pricey, so I like having a pro do it. There are also do it yourself kits available. If you are interested try www.partsexpress.com

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. 84K5WITHAJUNK305

84K5WITHAJUNK305 Registered Member

Silicon is murder on foam surrounds because of the vapors it produces while curing. On rubber surrounds I use vinyl repair stuff. It's best to simply send it back to the manufacturer and let then recone the sub.