Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

aweful hiss

Discussion in 'Audio' started by aaaaggh, Sep 30, 2001.

1. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

birmingham alabama cause there no ham like birming
    so i went out and got a new amp which the salesman swore up and down was waaaay better than what i had and was a great deal for the money. so i end up with an orion covalt 200.4 running my mids. this replaced a 10(?) year old pioneer gmh120. no i have an awefull hiss in my rear fill. the dude at the audio place says "well thats damn near inaudible" bs i say. if its more audible than teh 10 year old amp im preplacing that i paid $30 for from a friend 4 years ago, then its hard "inaudible".it hisses no matter what the gain is set at and it hisses with the rca's pulled out, but it only hisses on the rear speakers. it puts out 50x4 rms @4ohm @12volts not quite sure what its pulling out at 14.4. anyone got any ideas to get rid of the hissing? oh teh fronts are an mb quart component set and the rear is polk ex.

would you mind un-wedging your fullsize from between those trees? your blocking the trail.

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Orions are very touchy about doing this - Where do you have it grounded to? Is it fed directly from the battery? If at all possible ground it to the frame, or if it's grounded to the body, make sure all of your bonding straps are there (engine to frame, frame to body). Is your remote turn on fed by a power antenna lead, or a dedicated amp turn on? Sounds like interference or a crummy ground to me.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

the turn on is dedicated to the amps i have a relay opening a curcuit strait to the battery. the ground is to the ground dist block onto the body. all the ground srtaps are in place. its in an extended cab Z71. also i can bridge it to the front 2 channels but then i get radio noise. yall think i need to find a new way to ground it or what?

would you mind un-wedging your fullsize from between those trees? your blocking the trail.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd find a new ground for starters - perhaps drill a hole in the body, and use a bolt with a jumper off the bottom side to the frame. If that doesn't kill the hiss, I'd bet on there being an internal problem with the amp.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. scooby

scooby Registered Member

with all this new tecnolagy.
    it may sound odd but , how are your spark plug wires??

6. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

doesnt sound odd at all. i should have checked the ignition. they are the same ones that were on there when i bought it 20000 miles ago. i have no clue how old they really are.

7. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

and ive already exchanged the amp once and both of them did the same thing.

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Are you rear speaker wires running next to the amps power wire...?? That can make a really purty hissing when ran by each other....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;