Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

awful noise turning right

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by freakpower, May 11, 2002.

1. freakpower

freakpower Registered Member

I’m fairly new to the Blazer thing, just bought the truck in September 01, and haven’t really fooled with it much since then. I’m OK with repairing most problems; it’s the proper diagnosis I have trouble with—which, of course, is 90% of being a decent mechanic. The point is to just please bear with me if I say anything stupid.

Anyway, my truck has developed an awful popping and wrenching noise that seems to be coming from the rear end when turning right. It sounds rhythmic, as if it could be related to wheel/axle rotation. Any ideas on the source of the problem? Does it make sense to have a steering-related issue in the rear end?

Any help would certainly be very much appreciated. Oh, relevant info: ’71 K5, 12-bolt rear, TH350 transmission, 4” lift.

Thanks.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It sounds like the diff is messed up. Pop off the cover and see if there are any chunks or flakes floating around in there.

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

if u have a locker in the rear, it may be it engaging/disengaging

NITRO

4. freakpower

Thanks for the input. Once you suggest the differential as a potential source of the problem, it makes perfect sense. If I'd thought a little harder, I might have realized that the differential exists to allow the wheels to rotate at different rates as the truck turns. Thanks again for being patient and not calling me a complete moron. Now let's hope things aren't too ugly when I crack it open for a look.

I'll let you know how it turns out--I may be looking for advice on upgrading to a 14-bolt.

Cheers.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I broke my spiders in the 12B and only noticed because the ring gear sent the tooth that broke off into the cover and poked a hole in it...that was fun!

6. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

I only had my truck for three weeks before the whole rear end blew up. It sounded like plastic or nylon gears rubbing together for about a week before the BIG BANG! When we pulled off the diff cover I found seven broken teeth and my carrier had cracked all the way through. The only thing that I have left of that rear end is the case. I hope yours is in better shape than mine was.

Rod

7. freakpower

Well, a month and a half later, I finally had a chance to pop the cover on the differential. Oddly enough, everything looks to be in good shape. No shrapnel whatsoever, and the ring and pinion have nice smooth, shiny surfaces.

I took the top off (Boone, NC if anybody wants it), can maybe hear things better, and the noise seems to be coming more from the vicinity of the right rear wheel, rather than from the pumpkin. Might that suggest anything else? Or is the differential still the most likely culprit and I should have someone who really knows what he's doing check it out?

Thanks again for all the help.

8. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

two suggestions:
    first, CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!! you might have a loose tire. I've lost a tire before and it sounds like some popping as the tire wabbles back and forth and it only happens going around corners. this is very dangerous, especially with a lifted truck. luckly when it happened to me it was in a '78 monte carlo.

second you can try checking out your brake hardware. the drums have a lot of things in there that can catch and bind if not installed properly. occasionally you will need new springs to keep everything in place.

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Check your ball-joints/tie rod ends, steering box at the frame for cracks, loose u-bolts. Just to name a few other things to check.

10. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

dont forget to check your u joints while your under there.....

11. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

my idea would be the tire too. mine did that right before my axel hit the pavement. they grab hard when the hit too.

just a queation. on my front end the bar on front of the axel. (i'm having a brain fart) the grommets on both endsare shot and need to be replaced. it can move up and down like an inch on each side. also how bad would it be to drill a hole in the center of it to put on a steering stabilizer. mine doesnt have the flattened part. its round all the way across. sorry about jumpin off subject. thanks again

nathan

12. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

you are talking about the tie rod. if the tie rod ends are loose it will make your steering sloppy.
    I would replace them pronto. also, DO NOT drill a hole in it. the results would be very bad. I have a rancho steering stabilizer kit that comes with a bracket that bolts around the tie rod.
    that is the way to go. there are a few companies that make these kits.