Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axel and lift questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrcold, Jun 10, 2004.

1. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

I have a stock (except for 4” suspension lift) 86 Blazer and are thinking of making some modifications.

If I go 4” suspension (already have it on the truck) and shackle flip in the rear will I have to replace the springs I have or will they be stiff enough? Will it result in the 8” I’m looking for? How much lift can I get if I make my own long shackles for the front and have my 4” suspension? And the same there, will I have to replace the springs? What about the shocks, will they be long enough?

How high can I go before I have to change driveshafts and what modifications can be done to use the stock driveshafts with the lift I suggested above, is it possible?

Is the axels from a k20 truck a direct bolton to the original driveshaft I have and to the truck in general? And btw what dose the "8 luge" part off an 8 luge dana 44 mean? I'm from Sweden and therefore I don’t understand al the terms! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When you shackle flip the rear it does soften the ride. I wouldn't run shackles too long upfront , basically for every inch of lift you need 2 inches of shackle . 8 inch springs up front are going to ride rough for sure. You will need to get longer shocks for 8 inches of lift, the importer you mentioned in other post should be able to order some for you. You driveshafts will need to be lengthened, and the rear axle will in need of shims to correct pinion angle OR you could have a CV ( constant velocity , looks like your front shaft with 2 u joints on one side and one on other ) shaft made . 8 lug axles have more lug nuts, are stronger and come with lower gears, and if you get them from a k20 , they are completely bolt on.

BTW 8 inches of lift will require steering modifications . You need a new draglink or steering arm, but probably a combination of both . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

Okay, thanks! Guess I will go whit the 4” suspension I have and a 3” body lift, some 35 all terrain tiers, axels from a k20 with 4.10 gear ratio. Dose that sound like a good setup? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif At least to start whit and when I have completed that work I will se if I want to do something different. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. pauly383

This is for the street , right ? 35's will be fine with no body lift and 4 inch suspension , save lots of time and hassles. It will only really rub off road . 4.10 gears sound good as you can save money by getting axles with those gears. You'll be happy ................until the bug bites harder and you upgrade again /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

Yes its fore the street but I will get the body lift any way, just love the way lift make your truck look!

Well first thing first… have to get the truck together. Bought it with the body separated from the frame and al the stuff that mounts to the body in boxes! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif When it was so much in pieces already I figured, why not take the whole thing apart and paint the frame, upgrade the engine and other stuff. So right now its even more in pieces than when I bought it! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif + /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif + /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif = /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. pauly383

Well with it stripped it will be easier, you will just have to make sure anything attached to body has enough slack for body lift, shift linkage(s) need extending, radiator shroud needs to line up with fan on motor. You may need to move the bumpers up higher with homemade/supplied bracketry, or cover the gaps created somehow. Have fun and take it at your pace, sometimes it can frustrate beginners /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

Thanks fore the tips! I guess it will be a lot of problems that just hits you in the head when I start to putt the whole thing together again! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

One more thing, where do I mount the transmission cooler I’m going to get. In between the engine cooler and the fan?

8. pauly383

You mount the cooler in front of radiator on passengers side. Your year truck has some unused holes near the horn area to pass the hoses through also, just cover the hose to prevent abrasions. You'll use the top tranny line on the radiator to splice into. I have pics of mine in my webshots link in my sig /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

Ahh, now I understand!
    /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Nice ride btw, 4” lift and 33” tiers? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Nice ride btw, 4” lift and 33” tiers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, 4 inch fronts and flip rear with stock springs. I have a locker and really have a blast wheeling. I am unfortunately still running stock gears, but it works well so far for now /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

As long as it works it works! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    My truck will be a dd, just want to turn some heeds by having it look big and beefy! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    As long as it works it works! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    My truck will be a dd, just want to turn some heeds by having it look big and beefy! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Keep in mind, the taller the truck gets, the easier it is too lay in on it's side on corners. Big body lifts really make it top heavy, raises the center of gravity.

13. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

Well guess I can’t take the corners like I do in my regular car! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif