Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axel Identification

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Calclips, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Hello everybody. I'm new to Solid axel 4wd drive systems and am looking at an 82 Chevy longbed (blazers are way too hard to come by in any respectable condition arround where I live). This truck is a 3/4 ton with a 14 bolt rear end. Somebody told me that it was a free floater, is there any way to positively find out if this is true. Also, how good are NP 208 T-Cases.

Thanks for any help you can give me

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I am not sure that the semi-floater (9.5" ring gear) was out in 82. The full-floater (10.5" ring gear) definately was. It is easy to tell the difference. The full-floater has a hub protruding out from the center of the wheel with several bolts on it. If you can see through the center hole of the wheel on the semi-floater, you will just see the outer part of the brake drum. Also, the bottom of the full-floater differential has a distinctive "V" shape to it, while the semi-floater looks more like other axles.

Check out the guide on this site at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml</a>

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    This truck has a large center hub that sticks way out. as far as bolts in it, I'd have to check. What exactly is full floating, semi floating, and non floating anyway? And could the stock axel have been converted?

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

It is a full floater. The truck must be a heavy 3/4, since the semi-floater 14 was out in '81.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    81 are you sure, something smells fishy to me !

6. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Well now, Something smells fishy eh? I gotta 81 3/4 ton in my backyard with a SF 14 bolt. My dad bought it new, I know the axle has NEVER been changed!! I can have pics in the time it takes to walk outside and snap a pic! [​IMG] G'Bye now[​IMG]

I am the hunter Who live's in the darkness, And grows through your fears...... And you are the hunted.

7. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

a full floating axle hub has two bearings per wheel and is held on to the housing by a nut on the end of the axle tube. the axle bolts to the hub(these are the bolts in the center of the wheel) and goes into the differential to drive the wheels, if the axle should break the wheel will stay on, it is held on by the bearings. a semi or non floating axle has only one wheel bearing and the wheel bolts directly to the axle flange. if the axle breaks, it and the wheel can come off. the full floater is also capable of carrying more weight due to the additional bearings and heavier construction.
    It depends on what you want to do with the truck as to how the NP208 will survive. for general use they are good, they have a good low gear ratio, but the aluminum case, the chain, and the needle bearings inside make them undesirable for serious horsepower or off-roading. The NP205 is best for that with the cast iron case, all gear drive and heavier bearings.

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, the semi-floater was available in '81. They were all 8 lug in the '73 - '87 style trucks. 6 lug 14 bolt semi-floaters started in the new body style in '88.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison