Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axel seal????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **b**, Mar 1, 2000.

1. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

i recently noticed on my front drivers side
    axel i believe has a seal leak? @ first i thought it may be
    the brake calipar leaking but upon furtherr inspection
    it looks to be gear fluid? i recently used 4x4 in a winter storm traveling to vermont 4+hrs could that be the cause???
    is this a big job ???

my arm is now in a dam cast thanks to Mt.Snow so i wont be able to go down on her this time. i dont want to be taken 4 a ride @ a shop

any advise would help

2. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of doing them as we speak.. Pretty easy actually,, just pull the tires, the calipers, the hubs, the rotors and axles!!!! Whew!,, then pull the diff cover, unbolt the bearring caps, (that's where I'm at now) then take out the ring gear,, and pull the seals out of the axle tubes,, put everything back together.
    Have fun[​IMG]

Todd<font color=purple>78/87</font color=purple>
    [​IMG]

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

**B** I just recently changed my drivers side axle seal. TWICE!!! The first time, I did not notice the groove worn on the axle where the seal rides. So when I replaced it the second time, I used a decent spare axle i had lying around that was not grooved from the seal. No money for the ORD Heavy duty front axles yet, so I will have to do this for a third time when I buy em!!! But hey, since when has owning a four-by been about the lack of maintanence.

Good luck

BIGJ

4. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

OK,, so it's friggen harder than I thought,, see 'pulling the ring gear out the front' [​IMG]

Todd<font color=purple>78/87</font color=purple>
    [​IMG]