Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axel swap delayed,help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Jul 17, 2004.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

so my neighbor is backing out of helping me with the swap.(that's what it sounded like his wife was yelling at him for.)anyway,he was supposed to haul out the k20 this week to strip the axels but hasn't. i'm trying get some fuzz on my sack to take on the project myself.what is the most complicated part of it?considering i have next to zero mechanical skills?or would anyone locally be willing to help and get free stuff in return?thanks,guys!

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Are you swapping the rear for a 14ff? If so I would recommend a 2nd person. That thing is way too heavy for one man to lift or move into position. When I did my axle swap I had two guys helping me. The hardest part would be moving the axle. Use a heavy duty floor jack under the carrier to slide into position. Then jack up one side at a time and attach u bolts. You might have probs with your e brake cables hooking up, not sure though with your setup.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Also check out this tech article that Steve wrote Axle swap

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

To busy man sorry!

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have swapped front and rear axles by myself before, and I'm just a little feller. I had my truck jacked up high enough to roll them under with the tires still on them. I lower the truck onto the axle rather than raise the axle to the truck. There is nothing really difficult about it as long as you have some cool tools.

I put in my new transmission and divorced t-case by myself and suffered permanent arm and shoulder damage and now I have to limit the amount of work I do. I used to have a friend that would help me work on my stuff and I would help him work on his stuff. But now he has been married for 8 years and no longer helps. He doesn't work on his stuff anymore because his wife controls the $$$, so he has no use for me anymore. He sits at home and watches TV with her.

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    I used to have a friend that would help me work on my stuff and I would help him work on his stuff. But now he has been married for 8 years and no longer helps. He doesn't work on his stuff anymore because his wife controls the $$$, so he has no use for me anymore. He sits at home and watches TV with her.

[/ QUOTE ]

tell us ho you really feel /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I used to have a friend that would help me work on my stuff and I would help him work on his stuff. But now he has been married for 8 years and no longer helps. He doesn't work on his stuff anymore because his wife controls the $$$, so he has no use for me anymore. He sits at home and watches TV with her.

[/ QUOTE ]

tell us ho you really feel /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif,
    reminds me of my best friend years ago. we use to wrench
    and wheel , and chase woman. then he got married and his wife wont let him out of her site. i will say this though,
    they have been married for alomst 20 years.

as far as putting the axle in yourself , you can do it , but just make sure you have everything safe and secure.
    do not want the truck to squash you . like he was saying,
    once you have it sitting up correctly, unbolt your old axle , roll it out and roll the new one in . might take
    some sweating , but you can do it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

jiust flu me up and pay in beerm, you can drink on the plain back riht??>

I had grat wrenches but they areon the floor next toO /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifme soon ITHINK

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

hey, id be willing to help, just need to get my stuff done first. email me at big83chevy4x4@yahoo.com /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Thanks TJ