Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axel Swap questions.. and information needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BozoWise, Apr 1, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I have been reading around the site and need some info.

I own a 1979 K5 blazer with the 203 fulltime transfer case automatic trans and a 400SB. The rear axel is a GM 12 bolt and the front a Gm 10 (I think) Anyways I know these aren't premo for axels and I also want to change the gears out since they are 3:73 (w/ limited slip) and I want to run 42. So my question is should I just change ou the entire axels to something like Dana 60. What vehicle would be used for a doner axel? (both front and rear)

Any information on the idea of an axel swap or anything pretaining to it would be appreciated.

2. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

well, everyone here is going to tell you to run 1 ton axles especially if you are going to 42's i was going to tell you that you could keep the axles you have if you are only going to do moderate wheeling and stay around 35-38's for tires. but if you have a heavy foot or like to jump or want to ever crawl on the rocks or romp through a huge mud pit then you are going to want one ton axles, best bet 14 bolt-ff in the rear and dana 60 up front. if you plan on putting lockers in then get ones with open carriers, there is a chart somewhere around here that will tell you what gears to run but i am thinking close to 5.12 is what i have heard. i will be running 4.56 with my 35's. that's about all the help i can give.

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Would a one ton chevy truck have the right doner axels? And would they bolt in with only minor mods to things such as break lines and u-bolts?

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a K30 would have the axels you are looking for.

5. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Don't you have to move the spring perches on the 14 bolt if it came out of a 1 ton? I think the 3/4 tons have the same width 14 bolts.

6. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

I got my dana 60 front from a dodge deisel from a junkyard $1000. I found a Dana 70HD FF rear at the local junk yard $125. Just by looking around the junkyard i frequent, i saw lots of Dana 60's rears but not a single 14 bolt.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

In your search for a donor truck make sure it is a single rear wheel truck. You can make duallys work, but it is alot of hassle. Also, you will have to move the spring perches and possibly shock mounts on a 1 ton 14bff to make it fit a K5. You can get a 14bff from a 3/4 ton that will bolt into a K5, but usually the rear drum brakes are smaller on the 3/4 ton. But if you plan a disc brake conversion then I would stay on the lookout for a D60 and a 3/4 ton 14bff.

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info it looks like I will be searching for a 3/4 truck to steal some axels.