Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axel swap related Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Aug 1, 2004.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

axel swap related Q\'s

questions:1)are the shafts,hubs rotors,etc.the same on a '72 d44 and a '76 d44?the u-joints are shot in the '76 fr. axel and i'm thinking instead of buying new stuff that i could just rob parts from the '72.when i bought the'72 axels(d60r/d44f)i was told that the front had recently had new shafts(chrome-moly)and u-joints installed.they are external hub.the '76 came from a full-time 4x4(203 t-case)it has flanges like the 14ff,but has lockouts in it also(the smaller internal type)2)the d6o is also a ff design.will the shafts interchange w/ the 14ff?good to keep around for spares if they will! (3)could i run the '72 front w/ 4.11's w/ the '76 rear w/ 4.10's? IMO,there isn't enough difference to make a difference.right?or not? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif(note,just because:the '72 axels have the flat-top knuckles which could be a candidate for cross-over steering if i get that involved in trucks-n-such)that's all the questions i have for now(i think)if not i'll be back.thanks!

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Re: axel swap related Q\'s

The shafts and ujoints for the D44 will be the same, you cannot use Dana 60 parts for the 14ff and the gear issue I would venture to say it wouldn't make much diff. You can use the flat top knuckles and just swap them over.