Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axel Trusses

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jul 8, 2000.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Who runs axel trusses? Are they helpful? Who makes good ones and is there anyplace online I can shop?
    Brent

2. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I have on on front,they are useful i guess, i made mine.

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

3. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I have one on the front...home made also. It interferes with my hydraulic jack.

SteveB

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Not that my opinion means anything, but here is my thought on Axle Trusses. I think the trusses that are Bolt-On are not helpful at all, they actually hurt more than they help in some cases. If you ever get stuck in some good Gumbo mud and have a truss on the bottom, that basically will double (just an analogy) the pull required to get you unstuck. They act as an anchor. For rock crawling, they get hung up on rocks and ripped off. If you want a good system, you will have to build a truss that goes over the top of the axle. These are more affective in my opinion. Make sure to weld it to the axle housing and connect it to the cast portion of the housing. Welding Cast Iron requires some special tecniques. I hope this helps.

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

5. Steve_87K5

I agree with Mudzer. I made mine for long desert trips where we load up very heavily and come down hard (by accident) when we least expect it. If you don't do this, I doubt that you really need one. It really is a pain to jack up the front with a bottle jack and the rods hanging down.
    Here are photos of how I made mine.

SteveB

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Wow them are some tough looking axel trusses! I dont think I need em that bad

7. Steve_87K5

if you have good rubber bump stops and come down hard you should not bend an axle tube. I have progressive urethane
    bump stops fr and rear. If you do slow wheelin' I really don't think you need a truss. If you go 40 mph thru the desert and hit a wash out, come down hard, loaded with 1000
    lbs of fuel/cargo, then I'd say go for it. The only bent axle we have had was on a 12 bolt rear, when Walter came down hard, loaded, at 30 mph, with rotted bumpstops.

SteveB

8. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i guess it all depends on what you are doing. i have bent axles many times (total 3 axles) for landing hard....even with good bumpstops, but that was HARD!!! as steve said, good bumpstops should get you by for a couple of feet of air time (you have to have good shocks though). but the truses help. but remember this.....if you beef up one place and play hard, it just means that it will break somewhere else!!

Knife.