Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axel Wrap??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Apr 4, 2001.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

What is it? what causes it??

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Leaf spring axles have nothing BUT the spring to try and keep the rear axle aligned. When you apply power, as in acceleration, the pinion tries to climb. Once the leafs can't be "wrapped" anymore (one end trying to go up, one down) they overcome the force on the axle and snap back into straight. Thats about it.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

it gets worse w/blocks.the more block.the easier it is to wrap.the best explaination i can think of to describe axle wrap is,on a launch the wheels and axle move forward before the truck actually does.if you have a ton of torque and/ or tall blocks its nasty!!trust me more than once i slammed my rear shaft shut!makes a real big bang when the slipyoke is shut up to the t-case.OUCH!didnt make that mistake on my blazer,i learned my lesson.on a burn out this is what causes wheel hop.if ya ever been to the drags you know what im talkin about.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Is axel wrap a major problem for the daily driver/ occasional mudder? Or does only the rigors of heavy wheeling cause it to happen?

I wasn't exposed to rap as a child, I was exposed to Pantera.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

depends on alot of things.iwas he** on my truck at all times.you can run blocks,just dont go bigger than 6"and you wont have much probs.if i kept my foot out of the loud pedal i didnt have a prob.i had 8"(big mistake)and i had some side sway.just drivin down the road.your more likely to get it when you have traction(rocks,roads etc)in mud you just spin for the most part.i personally didnt have a prob as long as the tires would break loose.but if they caught kabang!any car or truck w/leaf spings will experience it to some degree.blocks just make it worse.im runnin a 6"block in mine.BTW for anyone new to 4x4 NEVER NEVER NEVER put blocks of any size in the front!!!!!the front axle has different forces on it.a bud of mine bought a c10 w/ a 3"front block before he had a chance to remove them they popped out.made quite a mess at 55mph.nothin like your front axle going wherever it wants and your tire digging into your fender to ruin your day.because its now totally loose.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.