Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axel ???????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey 78K5, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Here goes. This week I helped my Dad drag up a 55 Chevy truck for a hot rod project. Well anyways We're confused as what the rear end is I know that stock it would of had the old banjo type rear end but this one is a Dana axel. Well I looked under it and said well it looks like a Dana 44. My old man said are you sure. So i climbed underneath it with a light and wire brush and cleaned off the lower right hand corner of the diff housing next to the cover where it sould say 44 right. Well this one said 45 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Now were at a loss as to what it came out of, it does have a six lug pattern. Although it dont really matter cause it wont hold up the the 454 that is going in it. So the next question is what would be a good rearend for this truck and still keep it six lug? I already checked a 12 bolt that I have and its 2" wider.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That Dana rear end is close to as strong as the 12 bolt. If you want something tough then look at a late 80's Semi floating 14 bolt. They were available with 6 lug. came under some burbs and 1/2 ton trucks with heavy duty towing package.

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

If you can find one a 12B from under earley 70s Nova or mabey a Chevelle.They're the right width.Lot's of people use a 9 in Ford.Can be made pretty strong for hot rods.They're easier to find too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If you have a 55 2nd series, then the spring spacing is 40.5" - the same as a 73-87 1/2 or 3/4-ton. 2" wider overall won't hurt - that's 1" per side, and that can be taken up with the wheels you decide to use.

Let your front end decide the bolt pattern. Front disc kits can be had in almost any bolt pattern. A slick rear disc axle is a 9" from a late 70's Lincoln. Rear disc and 5-on-5" pattern (same as chevy 1/2-ton 2wd). 63-64" wide. Just needs the 4-link cut off and spring perches welded on.

If 6-lug is what you like, the GM 9.5" rear end came in 6-lug from 88-onwards. There's two different widths - 4x4 is wider than 2wd by about 3". Perches need to be welded.