Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axels vs tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MetalCore_Blazer393, May 1, 2007.

1. MetalCore_Blazer393

MetalCore_Blazer393 Registered Member

i was goin to up grade my k5 with lift and tires and i was wonderin if i needed to get a whole new rear and front end set up or if i could just buy stronger axel shafts? i was thinkin of 4in lift and 37s or 38s in that range. its stock now with 35s

2. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

you can run stock axles if you baby it on the street. ull need at least a new rear if u plan to wheel it at all. front can get by if u keep it open

4. MetalCore_Blazer393

i have lockers front and back and i do wheel and i alreaady broke/shredded my 10bolt once with my 35s in the back :wink1:.

so i could get away with just axel shafts and not have to buy a whole new setup and if i cant do just axel shafts are 14bolts worth the money?

5. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

i think they are, youll probably never break one and parts like lockers and stuff are cheaper for them

6. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Here's what ORD says about their alloy shafts

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In general, a 30 spline alloy shaft will work well with 35" tires, depending on your use, the 33 spline SF shafts in the 14 bolt 9.5" axle are good for a 38-40" tire and the 14FF 30 spline shafts are good for just about anything you want to do with them. These shafts laugh at 44" tires. The 14FF 30 spline is about 1 9/16" diameter, this is MUCH larger than the 30 spline for the 10/12 bolt.[/FONT]

Probably be cheaper to just go 8 lug.

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

go 14bff in the rear at least. add a rock proof cover and it will be indestructable. with that size tire and lockers you will break. at least if you have the 14b in the rear you'll be able to make it home.

8. MetalCore_Blazer393

cool thanks guys , ill probly go yank a 14bolt out of a junkyard some were ; )

9. bigjimmy82

bigjimmy82 1/2 ton status Premium Member

also consider the design of a full-floating axle, none of the vehicles weight is on the shaft VS a semi-float design (10b, 12b, most all light duty axles) the wheel is mounted to the shaft directly and the bearing/shaft is supporting the weight of the truck(and it is a smaller weaker shaft)

10. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

dont forget you lose your wheel if the shaft breaks. with the ff, granted you will probably never break a shaft but if you do you wont be in danger of wrecking.

I would hate for my cause of death to be a broken axle.:haha: that being said, my new trail rig is rollin on 10 bolts.:D gonna keep my tire size at 33s until I can upgrade though.