Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle and hub ? I'm stuck ..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Jan 16, 2002.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Axle and hub ? I\'m stuck ..

Okay.. i'm installing a pair of explorer pro comp manual hubs on my 89. But.. I can't install the small snap ring since the end of the axle shaft doesn't have the groove down far enough towards the end.. what can I do? or do I even need the small snap ring? or do I just need the large diameter retaining ring that fit's the outer diameter of the hub?

I swapped in a early 80's front axle with 3.73 gears.. and my old front axle had the snap ring groove's in 2 places.. can I use my old axle shafts? or is the spline count different?
    Thanks... any help is greatly appreciated..
    Hope I made this clear..

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Axle and hub ? I\'m stuck ..

Have you reached in the knuckle and checked to see if the shaft slid back? I always have to reach back there and push the axle into the back of the spindle to get the clip back on on mine.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

on't install the smaller snap ring, thats for the auto hub assembly. Just use the bigger ring that goes on the inside of the hub.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)

hate to break it to you, but every set of chevy manual hubs i have done has a small and a large snap ring. I would highly recomend that you use it!!! Just reach in the nuckle and slide the axle shaft out toward the hub a little further. Its a tight fit, but it will go.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Really, when I installed my first set of Warn locking hubs I fought and kicked and all sorts of other stuff trying to get that smaller lockring on and when I did it chewed my hub to shreds. When I bought the second set I left it off and all was well for 5 yrs til I warranteed that set and the new kit didn't come with the smaller snap ring so I assumed they werent sposed to go on the hub at all.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

The purpose of the small snap ring on the Warn type hubs is to hold the stub axle in place. Without it, the axle can slide in and out just a tad, which keeps there from being a seal between the yoke on the stub and the back side of the hub.

You might want to check out your hubs for rust inside.

Rocko, make sure the spindle nut ass'y is installed properly and push out on the stub axle yoke to make sure it is out as far as it can go. If both are good, you should be able to install the small snap ring.

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Okay.. so i should try and slide the axle shaft outward as far as possible to see if the small snap ring fit's on the groove?

I had a old set of superwinch hubs that I put in the rotor..and it fit's fine. the internal hub part is narrower than the pro-comp ones.. which would allow me to use the small snap ring.

The assembly isn't rusted.. i took the rotor completely off, cleaned, installed new wheel bearings and repacked with grease... prior to installing the new hubs.. everything seem's in good working order..
    Would the axle shafts long and short shaft from the original 89 front end fit into the older front I put in? when did all the spline count's change?

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

8. Blazin Obsession

Blazin Obsession Registered Member

If your Axle only has one slot for the ring it will not work with manual locking hubs because it is from an old full time system that did not require the second slot for the lock ring.Take a look at your old axle and you will see it has two slots, you can either cut a new slot with a grinder or take off the u joint and put the end from your other axle on or just us your old axle if the spline count is the same. It is not a good idea to just not install the ring, if it did'nt have to be there the manufacturer would not include it and make more money.
    hope I was of some help
    Ken

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazinobsession.com/>http://www.blazinobsession.com/</a>

9. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Try what Grim said on trying to pull the axle out. On my 85, with Warn hubs you are not supposed to put the snap ring on, it won't fit and is even noted in the directions. What year axle did you put in?

Rob

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

10. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I just put a set of Superwinch manuals (form auto locking) on my '82 and the hub directions stated to leave the inner (little) snap ring off for my type of rotor assembly. I thought it was wierd but everything seems to work great. Even prying the axle stub outward at the u-joint I was nowhere near getting the small snap ring in place. Oh and this was the stock 10 bolt axle too. Just an FYI. Hope this helps.

(Formerly heaj1)
    Swimmin like a rock, slingin like a stock, but not for long.

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

89 should have 30 spline and the older should be 28 I think. I am pretty sure the change in spline count was in 88 sometime for the 89 model year.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

12. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I'm going to attempt to cut a groove in the end of the shaft with my Dremel tool.. wish me luck.