Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle bearing removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrpoorboy, May 12, 2005.

1. mrpoorboy

mrpoorboy Registered Member

how do i get the axle bearings out of a 14 bolt sf? would a slide hammer work? or would that crush them? installation tips? any help would be great. thanks

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

which bearings are you talking about my 14FF only has carrier bearings which came right out and the hub bearings which both of them come out the back side of the hub the outer bearing is held in by a snapring. Remove the seal and the inner bearing comes right out. remove the lockring and the outer bearing comes out the same way as the inner bearing.

OOPS Sorry did not see you had a 14SF. If you ever get a 14ff this is how the bearings come out.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First thing I say about axle bearings is, are you sure they are bad? You've pulled the axles and seen that they are chewed into? Just saying this because of all the noises I've ever had from a rear end, the axle bearings were never a problem, and ALWAYS a hassle to replace.

I believe the assembly is identical to the 10 bolt, only larger, so slide hammer is the only way to get them out. They usually come apart when you use the hammer on them.

4. mrpoorboy

mrpoorboy Registered Member

i bought the axle not knowing what it has been through. i would rather replace the bearings just to make sure. i hope a slide hammer works. thanks for the help

5. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

It is eaisy to do. You will probaly pull the inner race out first. The berings always seam to want to dissitigrate.