Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Breakage (The Drivetrain Aspect)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, May 1, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

One reoccuring posted theme I read on here is: "1/2 ton axles will break no matter what!" I have read axles will break with anything from 35 +'s, to my stock 32's broke it, to my 44's do fine! Sure many factors must be considered including maintenence, the axle builder/components, the drivers shoe size etc. The one aspect I rarely if ever see is if it was broken under the power of an auto (has a mind of its own) or a standard (Can be feathered). I personally have a theory that no matter what standards are going to cause less breakage in general compared to an auto. Its the only way I can seem to reason some of this out.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1020303420BowtieBlazer">

I Have Broken Axles With:
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="1">A Auto Transmission
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="2">A Standard Transmission
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="3">Both Transmissions
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="4">My Bare Hands!
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have broken a front with a stick and a rear with an auto.
    grant

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the auto has the converter to cushion shock loads

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Not to toss a wrench into your theory, but Autos are by-far more abundent, and will have a higher rate of failure because of it.

5. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

i agree w/ mj. the standard tranny is going to be way harder on driveline parts especially under abuse

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

wouldn't a lighter clutch vs say a centerforce II be the same comparision to stock convertor vs a decked out raptor tranny?

Yeah I knew that was one of the flaws...definately more people have autos

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I believe that a manual tranny is tougher on drivetrain components because of the shockload everthing is subjected to. Where an automatic can give a little at the converter, a manual is solidly locked to the engine and flywheel. I personally broke a 12 bolt with 36's and a D70 (HD with 1.5" 35spline shafts) with 44's. The 12 bolt lost the spider gears, ring and pinion, and an axle shaft. The D70 just snapped a shaft. Both instances were in my driveway.

8. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Definitely agree with 79Beast. With a manual there is simply more shockload. I have broken 2 rear D60 shafts with sm465, mild 355, and 39.5 TSLs.

Will

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree with all the guys here--manual is much rougher on parts.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree with all the guys here--manual is much rougher on parts. GM agrees too--all new manual tranny HDs come with 1410 u-joints instead of 1350 that the auto trucks get.

11. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

My 10 bolt blew up with 32''s and an auto trans with my foot off the gas (stupid Gov-Lok!), I destroyed the ring and pinion on my 2nd 12 bolt with 35''s and the 700R4, but I will blame that break on a bad gear install. I still wouldn't trade my trans for any other. The 1/2 tons are holding up great now with mucho abuso and 35''s

12. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My 2500HD with the 8.1 and allison has 1410 U-joints with a vibration dampener.

Just so you know./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

John

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

While a manual can be feathered, it also passes instant power to the drivetrain when you side-step the clutch. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Of course, you can impart similar stress to the drivetrain with an automatic by doing neutral-drop starts. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Autos have quite an advantage in one respect though. Once you drop it into drive, all the slack is taken out of the driveline. The power is on the drive side of the gears, u-joints, etc. most of the time. With a manual, the load is constantly switching from the drive side to the coast side and back to the drive side with every shift.

Having said that, I've grenaded 3 12-bolts behind a manual tranny with 35 inch sneakers. Broke teeth off the 4.10 ring gear every time. Burnouts, speed shifting, and barking the 35's probably had something to do with it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I also pounded the hard facing off the spider and side gears of a 3.73 ratio 10-bolt that was behind a 700R4 pushing around 33's. My last feat was to break 2 teeth off of the 3.42 pinion gear in the mini-10-bolt in my S-Jimmy. This one is behind a 700R4 and a 4.3L V6. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Either you're wrong, or the manuals have still larger U-joints. All HD's with 6 speeds have larger U-joints than automatic trucks. I'm not sure exactly on the size, but I know for a fact that the manual trucks come with beefier u-joints.

15. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have had both Auto and Manual in my K5 and I have to agree with M_J on this one. Autos are much more forgiving than Manuals. Since the converter is the cushion it is less stressful on parts. Manuals once engaged are just like having a direct drive.

Now, you are opening up a majorly broad subject here. Axle breakage cannot be narrowed down simply because of a transmission, but it does play a key role in the equation. I am currently running the 38" TrXus STS on my K5 with a Manual and I break front axle parts every time I go out. I am not a throttle happy fool either! I am upgrading to the Warn front shafts for my D44 and I am also swapping in a dual transfer case setup from WMS with an auto tranny.

I think your poll is not going to give you favorable results because the ratio of Auto to Manual is far too different. There are more Auto equipped K5s out there than Manual. If that makes sense. Fact is, you will break more with a Manual than an auto - apples to apples.