Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle bumpstop theory - what size is right?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbinOR, Jun 1, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Doing the extended shock upgrade in the front this weekend, and looked at Steve's original review...........he has the factory bumpstops with NO spacer. I know he now has the ORD Competition style bumpstops, but it got me wondering about the proper bumpstop height. Figure if you have a lowered bumpstop like my truck does, making the total height 4", it limits your compression............yet looking at Steve's review, he uses the original ones that would appear to allow the springs to over compress, thereby possibly damaging the springs, but allowing for more flex and hence more impressive RTI numbers. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

So how is the correct height bumpstop arrived at?

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The tire is set out-side the spring by about a foot or so. So, when it is articulated (twizted), the wheel travel is not equal to spring travel.
    Furthermore, When the spring pad hitts the lowered bump-stop, the bump-stop acts like a fulcrum. The higher one-wheel is stuffed into the fender, it will "force" the other tire down. (BTW, you really have to twist the front axle to take advanatge of the "Sea-Saw" effect.)

Lowered bump-stops on our rides, only limits vertical travel when the axle is compressed evenly, not when it is articulated.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I usually measure the bumpstops to contact about 1" to 1½" before the shocks' maximum compression is reached - but I have little concern for spring health and more concern for shock health, so my formula isn't neccessarily right.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, that's my theory. Put bumpstops where ever necessary to keep things from hitting or getting damaged. If the springs give out, I'll get new springs (BDS lifetime warranty).

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just left the overloads in the rear and didn't flip them. They make for a good bump stop IMO (I run out of flex before the shocks bottom out in bump). In the front my 720 lb/in springs limit travel very well /forums/images/icons/frown.gif