Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Cleaning - Please Respond

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikeperez22, Oct 14, 2004.

1. mikeperez22

mikeperez22 Registered Member

I am restoring a 1st Gen Blazer and I am having both axle housings powdercoated. I was going to have the housings hot tanked and then blasted before the powdercoating, but I can't find anywhere that has a hot tank large enough for a D44 or a 12-bolt. Does anyone have a good idea on how to clean the inside of the axle housings before they are put back together? Thanks.

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Are you referring to the inside of the axle tubes? The only part that needs cleaning is the seal surface (brake cleaner works for that). I would just have it sand blasted with the diff cover on and the tube ends stuffed. There is a shop here in Phoenix that will do an axle (clean/sand blast & powder coat) in any color for $75.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

At work we clean it with solvent. The rinse it with carb clean, and blow it dry. Gets it as good as new! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif You need to scrub with a brush of course.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I used a wire wheel on my 14bff, made it nice and new looking just took some work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

hello, this my first post to ck5. just wanted to give you another option. you could build a solvent tank big enough for an axle. thats what im doing, iv got several axles i need to clean, so i buoght a 60 in x 20 in dia fuel tank it had dished ends. i cut the ends off fliped them over rewelded them on so they are domed, than cut it in half length wise, cut an end off of each half, but welded to halves together. i just need to finish the stand and get a submersible pump for solvent. it wasnt that much work at all.i hope i did this post right.

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hello, this my first post to ck5. just wanted to give you another option. you could build a solvent tank big enough for an axle. thats what im doing, iv got several axles i need to clean, so i buoght a 60 in x 20 in dia fuel tank it had dished ends. i cut the ends off fliped them over rewelded them on so they are domed, than cut it in half length wise, cut an end off of each half, but welded to halves together. i just need to finish the stand and get a submersible pump for solvent. it wasnt that much work at all.i hope i did this post right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Guess what. We're all bringing our axles over to your house!

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. muddbudd72

muddbudd72 Registered Member

one of those roundish toilet brushes with some kind of solvent gets the inside ot the tubes pretty clean. if its just grease on the outside oven cleaner works, removes grease and paint.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Guess what. We're all bringing our axles over to your house!

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We sure are....as soon as he fills out his profile so we know where to find him. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to upgrade the front axles to some newer ones. 1st gen k5's came with small Dana 30 size u-joints.

10. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

thanks for the friendly welcome,il have an axle cleaning party, you guys bring the beer! im very new to computers,so i feel like a monkey on this thing /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif i guess i should stop in the newbie room and say hello first before i reply to any post, or does in not matter? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif