Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle code help - gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Todd78/87, Mar 5, 2000.

1. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Ok K5'ers my axle rear axle tube has 3896839 with an N under it and the other side says GM86
    This is on my 78 w/10 bolts axles,,, what gears do I have assuming they have never been swapped out?
    Thanks

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Aren't you in the process of working on your front diff. I thought I saw a pic with the front diff cover off. If you want to know your gear ratio you can do two things. On the outside of the ring gear the ratio will be stamped. It will show something like 38:11. The larger number will be the number of teeth on the ring gear, the smaller the number on the pinion. You could also physical count the individual teeth. Simply divide the numbers (3.45 in this case) and that's your ratio. The rear will match from the factory. If they don't match, you would have known it by now if you ever had it in 4x4 on a hard surface.

...................uh can't think of anything clever

3. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

You can raise the back end, mark the reare driveshaft/mark the tire, spin tire. Number of times it takes the driveshaft to turn the tire 1 rev is your ratio. example:3-3/4 revs would be 3.73:1. Kinda primitive, but gives you an idea.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

When doing that 'primitive' procedure, you'll have to turn the wheel two full turns, not one. I made that mistake too[​IMG].

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

5. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Yeah,, I was in there,, but some dumb ass put the cover back on before he looked!!! [​IMG]

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]