Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Damage...Please Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

So I get my new truck the other day, '89 Jimmy, and I'm toolin' along down the freeway to get home. I stop at a gas station and notice the pinion seal on the rear axle is leaking. So I go into the station, buy some gear oil, and fill it up. I figure I'm replacing the axle anyways so it doesn't matter. Then, about 2 miles from home, I hear a funny clunk. I open it up when I get home and not only is it full of gear oil (not sure how that happened since oil was practically spraying from the pinion) there's a small piece (like half of a dime sized) missing from the carrier. So I get out the die grinder and clean it up and as I'm about to close it up, I notice the missing piece. Only problem is it's wedged in between the ring gear and the housing. It's on the top side and I can't get it out for the life of me. I can't move it forward or backward. I've put the truck up on jackstands and ran it in reverse and it won't move. It just keeps scraping the ring gear. My question is, should I pull it apart to get this piece out or am I wasting my time since I'm gonna replace the axles anyways. Mind you I need this axle to work for a week or two, but that's all.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't know if I would drive on it . My gov loc 10 bolt made some noises , chalked it up to a locking device . The thing broke and I had to get a tow . Then I was absolutely stuck riding with my wife for a while :(

3. mikey_d05

Alright, that's convincing enough. I have a daily driver but I'd still rather not have it blow up. Please inform me on how to take apart a 12 bolt. I've never torn into a semi-floater before.

4. pauly383

You have to remove the bolt on the center crosshaft/pinion pin and pull that out . If its not an open axle you have to remove a spacer block also . Push in axles and retrieve the c-clips , then pull them out . Remove the carrier bolts and the bearing caps , set them down on a bench or something in the exact same orientation the came out as . You may need to pry the carrier out now if its doesn't want to come out easy , have something to cushion it if it falls out . There may be shims on the sides , these need to go back to the exact same side it came from if you intend to justbolt it back in and drive awhile . Get that broken piece out , take many pics and post up before youreassemble and drive it :k5: :k5:

5. mikey_d05

Sorry, I went ahead and did it tore into before you had a chance to reply. :grin: I removed the bearing caps and wiggled the ring gear/carrier assembly while slowly turning the right side axle to get just enough room to pull the chunk out. Unfortunately my digital camera isn't with me right now, but I should have it back at 4:30 or so. I'll just let it sit until then and post pics when I get it back. Thanks for the help and if I can ask you one more thing, do I now have to set up the ring gear again or do I just torque the bearing caps down to a certain spec? I never actually pulled the ring gear/carrier assembly from the pinion and housing if that helps.

6. pauly383

Technically you need them reset . If it all goes back the way it came out with the same shims etc where they need to be , it will probably be fine :k5: :k5:

7. mikey_d05

I just pulled the bearing caps and wiggled the assembly slightly to get like 1/8" of clearance to get the piece out. I never even pulled the axles, clips, or shims. I'd rather not spend the money to have the gears reset since I'll only be on this axle for a couple of weeks and then it's getting sold or scrapped...am I being cheap and stupid or will I be alright?

8. pauly383

I'd have to look at it before I'd say drive it to see what came out etc . As for resetting the gears , your probably fine without doing it :k5: :k5:

9. mikey_d05

Alright, here they are:

10. mikey_d05

Holy Sh!t, here they are in a slightly smaller form. The white circle indicates where the piece of metal was jammed.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg