Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle end play.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chris12, Sep 28, 2006.

1. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Forest Ontario, 1/4 hr from Port Huron Michigan
    Noticed today that the right rear axle shaft moves in and out about 1/16 which makes the wheel vibrate at 50.IS THIS PLAY NORMAL or is the wheel vibrations just due the super swamper tires.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Maybe wrong shaft in axle , or worn center pin :dunno: I do know some axles can have the same spline , same bearing size and be different lengths , I.E 10 and 12 bolt 30 spline axles .

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm guessing you have some type of semi-float axle? Every (GM) one I've had has done that.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It has to have some play, the axle ends constantly rubbing on the pinion shaft would be an issue. All of them have some movement, it isn't your problem.

5. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

OK. Then what would cauase the wheel to wobble(SP) then,

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Because they are Weables?:doah::doah::doah:

Sorry:o, Sorry:o for making a joke. Sorry for making a joke that goes over like a fart in Church:bow::bow::doah:

:haha:

7. dyeager535

Well, depends on how you are determining the wobble...visually, it can look like a wobble if the wheel is bent, the sidewalls are uneven, visual distortion caused by discoloration (dirt, wet, etc) and so on.

If it's not visual, and just something you are feeling, could be sidewalls flexing (no personal experience with the tires you are running), vibration caused by wheel, tire, driveline imbalance (one, some, or all of these) or loose/broken components like the leaf spring pins.

Just some ideas, when did you start noticing it?

8. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Well the truck has only been ont he road 2 days now but i noticed it the first day it was on the road. My dad drove behind me and noticed the wheel had a wobble to it. could it be the plate that holds the shaft in . Is it bent or somthing along those lines. Im going to rotate the tires to see if it help and if not i will try balancing them.

9. dyeager535

There is no plate that holds the axles in on the "semi floating" (c-clip) axles...that play results from the way the axles are retained, just a clip sitting in a groove inboard of the bearings the shaft rides on towards the outside portion of the axleshaft.

Swapping tires side to side would definitely make it easy to "see" a difference, but tire imbalance issues are usually a bit more difficult to narrow down than just switching tires side to side.

What size tires are we talking about??

10. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Well the tires are 33X15X15 super swaper. I took both the wheel off and the one rim has a sh@t load of wheel weights compared to the other wheel i took off the other side. So the wheel i took off the side that was wobbling had the more wheel weights. Know i guess if it doesn't wobbles when i switch it around and it wobbles were the other tire is it must be the tire or the rim.

11. dyeager535

Lot of weight probably indicates a bad wheel, bad tire, or a combination of both. If it was a combo of both, usually you try to rotate the tire on the wheel 180* to get the unbalanced portions of both opposite, and thus need less weight.

Those really aren't that big of a tire, so balance problems shouldn't be that great, unless swampers are like that.

Are they Bias ply tires? Those will be rough riding until they heat up from driving.

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Maybe the tire is out-of-round? I think Interco pulls their tires from square molds.

13. dyeager535

Well, a 15" wide tire actually is pretty wide as well, with soft sidewalls and 8" wide wheels (guessing) maybe there would be some weird behavior based on that.

14. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Im running 15X10" rims