Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle ? for the all knowing masses

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazinzuk, Jan 23, 2003.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

1st ? What D44s had flat top knuckles? Did the 8 luggers have them too same years. Do you guys think a D44 with Moser shafts and the new spicer u joints would hold up to 37 or 38(radial) swampers? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 6 and 8 lug D44s hasd the flattops until about 75, IIRC. A beefed D44 would be borderline with narrow 37s, and will not hold up to 38s. I tried to run 38" radial Swampers on a D44 with Warn shafts, regular Spicer joints and Warn premiums with fuses and I started breaking ring gears. </font color>

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Evan you think that oversized right foot had anything to do with it? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hey man, I may have oversized feet but I swear that I'm real easy on my truck! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I've goosed it a few times to get out of stuff, but the ring gear problems seemed to come over time, the teeth would all crack in the same place and break off. Two different ring gears, both set up professionally (supposedly...).</font color>

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hopefully you arent trying to run like 3.07 gears with those tires.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually if you run those big tires with 3.07 and get the gearing down from a low Tcase gearing or Dual T cases you have a better chance of holding up to a big tire especially if they are the stock gears they are better and stronger than any after market gear.

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

would it be possible to run 3.08's and 35's for an every day driver with a sm465? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

have you had to use low range of the tranny to get going in the past ?

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I am guessing you have a gas engine, so I would say it's not impossible but your engine will strugle unless you use granny low to take off or burn your clutch.
    I have a diesel behind my 465 and 35" tires and I should actually go 38 to make it more drivable.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    And I never use granny low, even off road while rock crawling, I use low range and 2nd.