Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle forward? yes-no??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by owen, Nov 18, 2005.

1. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

I have the 52" swap under the front, with a flip and zero rate in the rear (the rear is still centered). I am takingthe truck to a shop to have the fenders stretched rather than cut, so I need the axle in the right location when I take it. I have a set of 38.5's I am trying to squeeze without lifting the truck to the heavens. Should I slide (with zero rate) the axles to the max position in the front and rear? Are there any drawbacks to this? HELP

2. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

going to the body shop monday.....

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Shifting the rear axle back can cause your rear diff to want to become one with the gas tank... at least on vehicles with a rear center tank, a la stock K5's. Pickemups with the saddle tanks and bed-mounted fuel cells get around this.

Shifting the front axle forward is a very good thing. You need to do crossover, then, but you move the tires away from the firewall ... you can do whatever you want to the wheel wells, but that firewall is a big blocker to wheel travel :D Unless you're Steve "Mine Is Smaller" Fox :haha:

Anyway, I'd say maybe move your rear axle back, depending on the gas tank sitch, but definitely scoot the front forward. The increased approach angle alone is worthwhile, plus you can fit bigger meats at full stuff without whacking the firewall.

You're taking your truck to a *body shop* to have them do the wheel wells? You must not wheel where you're worried about denting!

-- A

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i think id keep the rear stock location, and move the front forward. moveing moving the rear will force you to do alot more stuff to the rear fenders as well. the front isnt that big of a deal.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can move the rear axle rearward 2.5" before you need to worry about the gas tank. You can move the front axle as far forward as you want depending on what you're going to do about a core support. The furthest you can move it forward with 52" springs (26" center) is 4.5" without extending the frame.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Ditto.

7. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

To me, a dent is something unavoidable- it happens in the act of wheeling. Having a jagged edge around your fender is avoidable, and I want to keep a factory lip. No offense to those who have trimmed- it is just my thing.

I do have rear steer/crossover so I am going to try to scoot it forward another inch. I will also take the rear back 2.5 as suggested. Thanks for the helpful advice.