Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Guidance - Kinda Urgent

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr_blasto, Jan 22, 2006.

1. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I currently have a '72 k5 with 1/2 tone axles and 35" tires. I would like to put a 383 and lockers in it eventually (I think). I have purchased new yukon 4.88 gears and master install kits, but haven't installed them yet - partly because it is pricey to install them, but also because I know there is no turning back after that. I have been trying to convince myself that I will never need bigger than 35's partly because I am worried about doing major hacking, but truthfully I am not certain.

I just came across a DRW D60 and Dually D70 out of a 1977 1 ton with 4.56 gears. The guy is selling them for just over $500, so I am pretty sure it is a good deal cause D60's usually go for a lot more than that. I am not too worried about changing wheels because I would sel my Mickey Thompsons and get some H1's, so at the end of the day, I shouldn't be out of pocket too much.

I really have to think things out a lot before I spend money, but this sprang up, so I don't have the luxury of time. What do I do?

Spend $500 to have the gears installed and stick with my current axles or buy the D60 and D70 with 4.56's for $500 and sell the gears I just bought as well as my half ton axles.

I am a student, so I want to try to stretch my dollar, but I am worried that there are some big costs that I am not considering. :ears: :ears: :ears:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Buy the 60/70 sell the new 4.88's and work on the one tons while driving on the half ton stuff. Then when the 60 and 70 are ready you can bolt them in, and your truck will only be down for a day or two:D

3. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Sounds like good advice. That set of axles is to cheap not to buy and if you dont you'll kick your self in a$$ later!

4. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

That's is what I was thinking, but I have read threads where people were saying that axle swaps aren't always as cheap as they seem because people don't consider all of the costs. I want to make sure I am making a good decision. Thanks for the input.

Keep the posts coming.

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They are not as cheap as they seem. It is easy to take a free/$50 axle and put $500 into it, but that's why I said put the 60/70 in the garage, and build them over time. I built my axles over a period of about 9 months just collecting money and parts. The actual bolting in is fairly easy inexpensive.

P.S. Get the spring plates from the donor truck.

If you don't buy these axles PM me and tell me where I can pick them up:D

6. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Can anybody see any reason not to do this? i.e. anything I should be careful of?

I hate making mistakes with money

7. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Buy the 1 tons, if you decide you don't want them turn around and sell them for about $1200- $1500

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

You are going to need single rear wheel hubs to run normal rims ($200x2), and the dually rear is rediculously wide. I had one in the driveway and never used it. Keep in mind that these are an old set of axles, and probably need alot of new parts, all of which cost about twice what you would pay for similar half ton parts. When I got mine, I noticed that it was spitting out a Ujoint cap, so I pulled it to find the driveshafts were grooved, the seals were shot, the bearings were pitted, the hub was shattered, the kingpin bushings were crushed, one spindle was spun and went on to replace almost everything. Its almost embarrasing how bad I was taken by someone on this site who assured me it was in great shape.:doah: Having said this, I still think you found a good deal.:laugh:

9. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

He said he would run H1's w/ the setup so this is a non-issue.

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You will want bigger than a 35" tire(think 39). And at least a 16" wheel.

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

In this case, the rear won't be wide enough.

12. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I have plans to pick up the axles this evening, so we will see how it all goes. Thanks for everyone's input.

13. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

DRW Front D60 ~76"
    DRW Rear D70 ~73"

1.5" offset on each side is no worse than factory, and can be fixed w/ quality hubcentric spacers at a later date if need be.