Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle guru's please help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kiley, May 7, 2003.

1. kiley

kiley Registered Member

Axle guru\'s please help

I've got a 71 c20. Doin' a brake job and can't figure out which axle I've got. It's got 10 bolts on the diff cover, which is about 12" across. Not that it matters much but it's coil sprung. I'm definantly no expert but I know it's not a 14ff and I don't think its a dana 60 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif but I'm not sure. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

B.T.W. 3/4 ton brakes jobs are LOTS more time consuming than 1/2 ton stuff! Shesh!

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Re: Axle guru\'s please help

Is the cover round? If it is, You've got an Eaton axle. Found under, 1960-1972 Chevy's, and GMC's. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if it looks like a big ford 9 inch (pic in the tech section) basically a basketball with axeltubes out the sides. it could be the old eaton style. its a 2wd is why it has the coil springs. somebody correct me if im wrong. if its the eaton style good luck they are apin to get parts for.

69k5
    nathan

nathan

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Shoe's, seal's, wheel cylinder's, bearing's etc. are easy to find, however, brake drum's, and backing plate's are a "pain" to find. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. kiley

kiley Registered Member

YES /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It is almost perfectly round. I thought it might be an Eaton. Any recommendations on where to find drums, pads and seals. My bearings seem to be fine. Got a pretty good leak on the right side from the axle.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Napa can handle the Shoe's, Seal's, Wheel Cylinder's, and they even turn drum's, if they're not to far gone already. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

kiley
    like don said napa can handle the parts. also oreillys and autozone but its like pullin teeth. i would go with napa they are my personal choice. hope the drums can be turned b/c new ones are expensive.

nathan

8. kiley

kiley Registered Member

Drums @ Napa are $122, Autozone $100 in case anyone was wondering. Nobody has them in stock and has to order them. The shoes are running from $15 to $34.

Thanks soooo much for all you guy's help, couldn't have figured it out so fast without your expertise.

9. kiley

kiley Registered Member

When putting the rear axle back together can I use RTV to seal the hubs? There was some type of gasket/sealant on the bolt that came out of the hub. Can I seal these with RTV as well?