Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Help?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by firefighter184, Nov 22, 2004.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I'm going to look at a 3/4 ton 8-lug 10bolt front with 4:10s Wednesday, guy's looking to get $125 for it. Don't know what to look for to make sure it is what I need.

Also picking up a 14B SF w/ 4:10s (for $25) this coming weekend. Same thing, don't know what to look for.

Anybody here in town wanna come with me and keep me from getting ripped off? And I'll need some help getting the axles loaded /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I'll buy dinner and some beers!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

For 125.00 , if its an 8 lug Chevy , I'd buy it . Compared to the prices I see in yards , thas great . Besides if it isn't the right ratio , you could sell 8 lug stuff for that much anyway /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

I was in the same position a couple months ago, I ended up just buying the axles though. Seemed like a good guy, we'll see. Good luck

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Really the best thing would be to pull the cover. Make sure there isn't a lot of rust in there. No chipped teeth. I guess really you can only look for the obvious stuff, you'll know there's a problem when you see it. Make sure the pinion doesn't move. Check out the rotors. Ask if he's repacked the bearing at any point. Make sure the hubs work.

I made the mistake of disregarding the puddle under the pinion of my bro-in-law's axle that I put in the blazer. Ended up with the underside of the truck covered in gear oil. The pinion seal had to be replaced.

But like Paul said, worst case you can part it out and get your money back. At least on the front for sure.

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

John, depending on the time Wednesday, I can probably help out. Give me a call (PM me if you have lost my number) and let me know. I am buying some stuff over the next couple of weeks and might need some help.

6. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Well did you get the axles???????
    Or did your Rainbow chaser a$$ chicken out /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I'm picking up the 14 SF tomorrow morning, if I can get a truck. The 3/4 front will have to wait until next week.