Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Livelli, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Livelli

Livelli Registered Member

I'm looking to replace my stock corp 10-bolts with either 14's or Dana 60's. My issue is that none of my local salvage yards are capable or knowledgable enough to know if they have or can get 'em without knowing what vehicle they came out of. I know the 14's were used in 3/4 tons from '73-'83, but who was putting D-60's in their rigs as stock. If anyone has any info (or a website link) it would be greatly appreciated. My truck is an '85 6.2/700r4/208 and I am pretty much just trying to bring it to the point where it is a moderatley tough truck. I'm not planning on doing any crawling with it, I just want to be able to pull my little brother out of whatever he gets his '99 2wd 4.6l F150 into. My goal is a 4"-6" spring lift (2" body if 4" spring) to accomodate 36x12.5x16.5 HMMWV tires and wheels and swapping my 208 for a 205, and long terming a 6.5TD.

2. Livelli

Livelli Registered Member

Also, if anyone here swapped a mid '80s 208 for a 205, I could use a lil' advice. New shifter linkage, driveshaft changes, etc.

Thanks again

3. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

This link is a nation wide junk yard search. http://car-part.com/ Do a search on this forum or Pirates you will find what had 60's under them. I found mine using the car-part.com site, it came from a 87 C30. Hope this helps.

4. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

im likeing that site

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Not to hi-jack, but I searched for a 60 for a long time, took me 14 hours from the time I used that site till I had one in my garage.

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it appears from your original post that you are under the impression that there were stock 14bolts as front ends - this is not correct. if you're looking to go one ton, you are looking for a 14bolt/dana60 combo. if you get your 14b out of a one ton truck, you'll have to move spring/shock mounts. If you get it out of a 3/4 ton rig, it will swap right in with a conversion ujoint. I believe dana 60 rears did come in chevys at one time, but not sure on years - however, some one correct me if i'm wrong, but they came in fords and dodges more commonly. if you want to get rid of your 208 - i would say get rid of the 700r4 at the same time and just get a whole different set up. maybe get a th400/205 or something like that. just make sure you have a torque converter for it to run with your 6.2 and that you have the proper govern in the tranny. were i you, i wouldn't do the body lift. i'm very against body lifts - tho 2" isn't so bad. i say stick to the 4" lift and trim the fenders if needed. finally - why do you want to go to a 6.5TD? seems like a lot of work and cost when you could turbo your 6.2 for about the same cost (I think) and get as good or better results. Theres another post up here in the last couple days where a member posted up dyno results of a banks turbo'd 6.2 with over 500lbs of torque. if you go 6.5td, you'll be getting into dealing with all the electronics and computers. not my idea of fun.

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

14 Bolts came in all 1 ton trucks and most 3/4 tons up till around 83 like you said. The 3/4 tons are a direct bolt in, but the 1 tons will require you to move the spring perches and shock mounts. Dana 60's came in 77-87 1 tons only and also the 88-91 crew cab 1 tons. Just my opinion here, but it doesn't really sound like you need a 60. The consensus on the forum is go 60 or go home, but for 36's and mainly mud covert the front to 8 lug and get a set of spare shafts ($50) and go. 60's go for anywhere from $600-$1000...there are those $100 dollar deals, but you might be waiting awhile:crazy: Plus D60 parts are $$$ and if you get one and have to start rebuilding it you could be into your front axle for $1500+ easily. Anyway thats just my opinion on a way to save a few bucks, and still have a capable rig. Welcome to CK5 search around you can read about the 14B D60 swap until your eyes bleed:D Plus you'll prolly find all sorts of other cool ideas to do.:laugh: