Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle hunting, need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Aug 19, 2004.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Everyone suggest i do an axle swap before anything else, so while i'm out at the junkyard what exactly am i looking for? I'm looking for axles with 4.56's so what do i tell the guys i'm looking for and like what vehicles do 14bff's come on and what do i need for the front and rear axles, i'm a complete newb and just need shopping tips and to know what i'm looking for. any input is appreciated. thanks fellas

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

A salvage yard would be the last place I would look for axles. Not unless they have em for a smokin deal. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif All the ones here think they are gold plated. And going in not realy knowing what is what can be a real disadvantage when haggling.
    The classifieds here have rigs being parted out and the average price is about $100 an axle for 3/4 ton stuff with 4:10's
    You might have a better chance at getting a set of 4:56's out of a K30. But those generaly sell as soon as the paper hits the stands.
    4:10 3/4 ton axles always seem to be in the ads for a decent price.