Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle .I.D.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fink, Mar 21, 2002.

1. fink

fink Registered Member

Wondering what axle is under a 1979 gmc 2500 pickup w/ camper package the rear is a 14bolt but the front looks beefier than a 44 (axle tubes measure 2" and 15/16, steering arm doesnt have 4 bolts just three) . Also the rear spring perches are almost 2 " 1/4 wider than my blazer how hard is it to cut them off???

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's probably a 10 bolt front...i'm pretty sure by 79 the 10 bolts had completely replaced the D44. 3 bolts for the steering arm means it's definitely either a D44 or 10 bolt though.

The 3/4 ton 14 bolt should be a direct bolt in for the Blazer...the perch width is different on the one ton versions but should be identical for the 3/4 ton version.

Rene

3. fink

fink Registered Member

I measured the perches of my 71 and it is narrower than the gmc 3/4. I know it wont just bolt up. Any other tips???

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It will bolt up to 73 and later K5's. If you had mentioned you had a first gen K5 then you would have gotten the righ info. If you fill out your profile better, with vehicle info, etc, people will be able to help you better. (Don't mean to sound harsh) Just a fact.

5. fink

fink Registered Member

Yeh yeh. this board is just much more active than 1st gens figured Id get more info. sorry

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am not talking about the fact that your truck is an 71, and this is the later style forum (thats not a big deal), but to know if it will fit, we need more info in some cases, and you didn't have the necessary info in you post, so the next place to look is the profile, and it wasn't there either. So thats why you got misinformed. If you provide the info in your profile, and or the post it makes it alot easier to help you. If you don't then we have to guess what your truck is.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well I'll admit to assuming sean was talking about a second gen K5.../forums/images/icons/blush.gif Show's what happens when you assume./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyways you got the info right now...as for moving perches it's not that hard, but you need some proper tools for the job and know how to weld obviously. Most guys will use a 4 1/2" grinder. New perches are kinda hard to find so a lot of guys will make their own new perches. 2.5"x 2.5"x.250" wall box tubing is great material for perches.

Rene

8. fink

fink Registered Member

thanx