Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle ID by tube numbers???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 425 Xpedition, Dec 15, 2005.

1. 425 Xpedition

425 Xpedition 1/2 ton status

Anybody know how to identify an axle by the numbers stamped on the housing? Trying to figure out what my 14sf came out of. Did not resemble an axle out of a truck. Had what appeared to be airbag buckets on it. Also had leaf spring perches, but no bumpstop perchs. Just would like know what it is so geting parts will be easier.

2. rocknutah

rocknutah Registered Member

G.M. had numbers & letters stamped into the right hand axle tube, about 6 inches out from the pumpkin. Post those and I'll see what I can come up with. It would help if you had some idea of the application.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The numbers yuo're talking about is the B.O.M (bill of materials) number, that number will tell you what year, make and model vehicle as well as open or closed diff and the gearing.

4. 425 Xpedition

First row - SK4 G 206 1845
    Second row - 021886

I know it has 3.42 gears and an open diff. Thinking the axle came out of a van. Never have seen a six lug van though.:confused: The wheel studs are 14mm. So it should be 88 or newer

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

One of the trucks at my old job had a 6 lug 14 bolt s/f. It was an '89 K2500 with the low gvw, but it just had leafs. That's the only thing I have seen or heard of 6 lug 14bsf coming under. Maybe the p/o added airbags?

6. 425 Xpedition

The buckets or whatever they are, are from the factory. Definetly not something somebody addded.

7. 425 Xpedition

Figured out it did come out of a late model van. Just need to try and figure out the year now.