Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle ID numbers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfiremank5, Nov 7, 2004.

1. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me the year of my axles based on the numbers? I know what they are, and what ratios they are etc.. I just would like to know the years if anyone has a way to track them down.

A link would be great, I've looked with no luck... or if you want to take the time to post the info, that would be cool too.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Either way thanks in advance...

Dana 60 Front : C40386

Corp 14 FF : HHR G0401 ( I know this one is a newer style with the extra webbing)

If these numbers are not the ones I need to find them let me know, and I'll look around on them a little more.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The numbers off the ring gear help more...as long as they haven't been swapped out.

They have the build date as well as ratio on them.

Rene

3. txfiremank5

I would have to guess on that since I got them from someone who got them from someone etc.. I would imagine they are the stock 4:10 gears though. I'll try looking there when I get a chance over the next couple of days. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

In the meantime, if anyone knows a website where I can run the numbers, that would be great.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If those are BOM numbers try posting them on Pavement sucks.com

Madd Ramm will prolly be able to run the info for you.

Rene

5. txfiremank5

I'll give er a few days here, and then if nothings happens I'll do that. Thanks again!

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They used to stamp a three digit code on the axle tube(s)--I have only found it a few times where the book says to look for it,they say its on the upper right axle tube,but Ive seen them stamped haphazardly in whatever place they felt like stamping them.A GM parts dealer has the codes listed in his parts catolog--its usually a code like "RWT".
    This may not apply to the newer 88 up trucks--I havent dealt with many of them yet,but I assume GM must still stamp axle codes onto the axles for parts reference.But if you do find the code,there is no gaurentee somebody didnt swap ratios before you got it--so looking at the ring and pinion is the surest way to tell the gear ratio-(count the teefh,or read the numbers stamped on the ring gear). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. txfiremank5

[ QUOTE ]
    They used to stamp a three digit code on the axle tube(s)--I have only found it a few times where the book says to look for it,they say its on the upper right axle tube,but Ive seen them stamped haphazardly in whatever place they felt like stamping them.A GM parts dealer has the codes listed in his parts catolog--its usually a code like "RWT".
    This may not apply to the newer 88 up trucks--I havent dealt with many of them yet,but I assume GM must still stamp axle codes onto the axles for parts reference.But if you do find the code,there is no gaurentee somebody didnt swap ratios before you got it--so looking at the ring and pinion is the surest way to tell the gear ratio-(count the teefh,or read the numbers stamped on the ring gear). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info, but I know what the gear ratio is. I'm just looking to find out what year they were made. I know the 14 is out of an 89 or later simply because of the extra webbing on the center section. I don't have any idea at all what year the D60F was made.

Someone on here was able to run the number on a D60 rear that I had, an sold, so I was thinking maybe they would see this and be able to help me find the years for these.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The factory codes told the year as well as the ratio--at least in the first and second generation trucks I'm most familiar with. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. txfiremank5

TTT once more

10. txfiremank5

Well, I finally found the correct number for the D60, it was hiding behind the steering stab that's still on the tie rod.

It shows it to be from a 88 - 91 1/2 V3500, which would make sense, since the 14 is a newer style one. I figure they most likely came from the same truck. The 60's cover also had a number that that indicated it was made in 10 - ? - 88. But, I didn't want to go by that alone, since it could have been changed.

Anyway, at least now I know. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif