Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle ident and Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Jan 17, 2005.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been offered a pair of axles which are apparently a 14blt full floater and a 10blt front which looks like a Dana 44 to me.
    Can someone identify them for me from these pics?
    Also, apart from the 8 lug hubs, is the front any stonger internally than a 6 lug D44?
    What ratios are they likely to have or did they come in almost any ratio? Aparently they're out of a K20??
    Will these bolt straight on to my '78 K5? The rear has had some extra spring perches added for something.
    Thanks!:grin:

14blt1.jpg

14blt3.jpg

44f3.jpg

44f1.jpg

44f4.jpg

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

The rear should bolt up just fine. It's definately a FF14. The front however, looks to me like a Ford D44. If you have a Chevy D44 with gears to match the FF14, you can swap everything from the ball joints out to get the 8 on 6 1/2 bolt pattern to match the rear. Just to make sure I'm not looking at the picture wrong...if you stand facing the same direction as the differential cover, the diff is offset to the left, correct? That makes it a Ford version and not real useful to us chevy guys.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That right there is a flat top knuckle from a D44 with a DRIVERS SIDE DROP.

As far as the front being stronger internally than a 6 lugger, nope, they are the same strength.

Ratios? Best thing to do is pull the covers and count the teeth and yes they will bolt right in, will just need a conversion u-joint for the 14FF.

4. southernspeed

You're right! Fancy me missing a little thing like that!!:haha:
    Maybe I'll make him an offer for the rear. So those 8 lug front hubs, will they fit on my '78 corp 10bolt?
    Thanks for your help guys.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Everything from the knuckles out should swap onto you Corp 10 bolt. :)

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I've done the swap between Ford and Chevy D44s, but not between a Ford D44 and 10 bolt. I think it would work, but I have no way of knowing for sure. One thing you should know is that the larger Ford brakes take MUCH more effort to clear a 15" wheel than 3/4 ton Chevy brakes. Also, the inner axles are different lengths between Ford and Chevy as well as different spline counts between 10 bolt and D44. The steering arms will interchange on the knuckles and the tie rod will have to adjusted for proper toe.

Also, the file I uploaded has nothing to do with this post, I was just practicing to see if I could make it work.

Beast Waco locker1.jpg

7. southernspeed

It works!! Good pic too!:grin:

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ford and Chevy D44's use a different number of spindle bolts so your Chevy stuff would not interchange with the Ford stuff unless you swapped everything from the knuckle out. Knuckles, backing plates, spindles, bearing hubs, rotors, brakes, locking hubs, etc.

You would also need to swap the Ford stub shafts onto your inner Chevy shafts because the Ford stubs are different lengths then the Chevy and would not work with a Ford outer.

Being that you are in England I don't know how easy it is to find Chevy D44 stuff. If you can find stuff to swap in Chevy D44 8lugs I would, but if the Ford is your only option go for it. I think the cost of someone shipping you 8 lug chevy stuff from the US would probably cost alot.

Avoid the Ford outers swap unless you absolutely can't find or afford to get the Chevy stuff. Keep in mind that with the Ford outers you are going to most likely have to run 2.75" BS rims of the 15x8" variety to clear the brake calipers with the least amount of grinding. I don't know how hard it would be to get those rims over there but the thing I don't like about them is that BS will wear out your balljoints faster then any other rim, especially if you do any offroading with the truck.

harley

9. southernspeed

Thanks. I think I'll give them a miss and wait for the right stuff to turn up. I just noticed that the rear shock mounts are gone too!

Shame because they seemed cheap at £100 the pair ($180)
    But then they could be rotten inside. I just stripped down a 6 lug 44 and found the shafts were rusted too bad on the bearing surface, but I did save the flat tops from it.