Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Identification

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Jul 18, 2001.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Down here in the Keys there are only two salvage yards. Both suck but one does have some Chevy Trucks. Is there any websites that have photo images of different axles to help ID what is what? I took some digital images of the axles that were there and I will post them later to see if anyone can help ID them. I am looking for anything better than the stock 3.08 I have now. I found at least one that was a 3.42 ratio that came off a heavy duty chasis with a 4 sp manual tranny. I also found what appeared to be a 14 bolt 3/4 ton that was still attached to a utility truck - circa 1979. Any adivce on where to look for axle ID's via an image will be appreciated, also can anyone on this forum ID axles by sight (I know the ratios are hard to tell but I'd like to know the general type of axles I have for a selection down here

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You came to the right place, there is an axle ID page in the tech section.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A lot of us can spot axle's by sight here, thanks to Steve's handy dandy axle spotter guide. Spend a few minutes there and you'll see just how good it is. With an 86 K5 its almost for sure that you have a 10 bolt rear and a 10 bolt front.

BTW, that is one seriously Mad Max front bumper you have!!! [​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just searched the images I took and found for sure a GM Corp 14 Bolt with a 10 1/2 gear. The truck looks old the the diff casing is barely seeping oil. I know that is no test of how good of shape it is in but It does not look that bad from the outside. Is this a good rearend for daily driving and sometime off road?

I just need to find a front end now if this one is good. Also, did this axle have a locker option? There is a tube attached around the two o'clock position - it may be the emerg brake but I can not tell from the picture. Thanks for any advice.

About the Mad Max Bumper - The tourists down here on scooters are hell....I need protection from them so I don't have to replace quarter panels all the time each time one blows a stop sign in front of me!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I just searched the images I took and found for sure a GM Corp 14 Bolt with a 10 1/2 gear. Is this a good rearend for daily driving and sometime off road?

<hr></blockquote>

The 14 bolt is capable of 44's and big block power...so yeah it'll do for daily driving and occassional wheeling. The tube is more than likely the vent tube.
    Most of these diffs came open, but some got the gov lock. Open is actually preferred as the Gov lock has some reliabilty issues. also a detroit locker is a drop in with the open carrier.

For the front axle you can just swap to 8 lug 'outers' and then go shopping for new rims and tires...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>