Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle info & opinions needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Jun 19, 2003.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a friend that is searching for 1 ton stuff. He has found a set that has a D60 and an Eaton axle, both w/ 4.56's.

My question; is the Eaton worth getting? Will it be hard to find parts for?

The seller is telling him he installed a Detroit from a 14 bolt into the Eaton using the 14 bolt axles, possible? This part sounds like b/s to me but I'm not familiar with the axle so I don't know if it's possible.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated!!

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

It may well be possible... the Eaton and 14FF diff cases are very similar. I haven't actually torn one of each apart to see what swaps over and what doesn't.

The axle shafts are within 1/2" or so. The 14FF shafts may fit directly, or require slight trimming.

If this guy has actually done this, I'm sure he won't mind popping out a shaft to show its 30-spline instead of 17.

4.57 is the most common ratio for that Eaton. Might be hard to get new parts, but a nearly endless supply of used center sections out there.

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

yes the Detroit out of the 14 Bolt will fit right in the carrier of the Eaton, all is the same except the spline count. Just use the 14 bolt axle shaft's.

I am doing this only in Reverse, swapping the Detroit out of an Eaton, and putting it in a 14 Bolt, just gonna use the Eaton Axle shaft's.