Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82yota, May 7, 2006.

1. 82yota

82yota Newbie

iam in Iraq right now and i have a 69 3/4 ton 4X4 parts truck it has a 292 I6 with a 4 speed iam trying to find out what it has in it for axles and transfer case i would like to swap them into my 72 GMC 1/2 ton any help would be great so i could start buying parts for it thanks for the help

john

I dont get online much so feel free to email me a john.t.sargent@us.army.mil with any help you can give me thanks

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

the axles should be an eaton rear and D44 front, with the sm465 tranny it could be a NP205 or with the I-6 motor possibly a rockwell 221 (not sure if that model number is accurate)

Where does the t-case shifter come up through the floor at? if its on the side of the hump to the left of the transmission shifter it is the rockwell t-case

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172197&highlight=rockwell

The last couple of posts in this thread talk a little about driveline combo's hopefully some of the 1st gen guru's will be able to help you more than I am able to

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Not necessarily. The early 205 shifters ('69 and '70) came up to the left of the tranny shifter (left side of hump). After that they changed them to a simpler straight shift lever that comes up to the right of the tranny shifter (like the ones on the '73 - '87 trucks). The '69 should have a 205. I believe the front axle will be a closed knuckle drum brake 44, and the rear axle could be an HO52 ("Eaton"), or a Dana 60.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The shift pattern on the T221 and NP205 are different... from front to back:
    Rockwell: 2H, 4H, N, 4L
    NP205: 4L, N, 2H, 4H

Thread with good Rockwell pics:
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=193436

BTW: I'm a believer that the 205 didn't start until '70 model year (which may be late-69 production.)

5. 82yota

82yota Newbie

thanks for the help i dont know much about the eaton rear end is it a good axle? and is it easy to find after market parts for? and would it be a good axle to swap out with or would i be better trying to find a dana 60? and as for the rockwell t-case what is the deal with that? i know the 205 is one of the best but what about the rockwell? thanks for the help

john

p.s. Schweinfurt huh! i lived in kitzingen for 3 years

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing its a Chevy, not a GMC since you said it has a 292. I have a '69 GMC, and it had (originally) a 350/sm465/rockwell t221/closed knuckle drum d44/d60 rear (30 spline). I *believe* the only engines available for 4x4 GMC's in '69 were the 305 V6, the 307, and the 350.

The Chevy's seem to have the Eaton instead of the D60.

The Eaton rear is strong, and I believe superior to the 14 bolt in a few areas. However, the bearings for them are pricy, and so is the brake stuff. BUT, you can get disc brake brackets for these axles.

The Rockwell T221 IMO sucks. (Mine exploded) Because they are so narrow and tall, you need to check the lube level frequently or the input bearing will seize up (wreaking all kinds of havoc). NP205's do not have this problem because they are short and wide instead.
    They also have the same weak 10 spline drive sleeve design as the early SM465/np205 combos.
    Rebuild kits are available for these, as are all the bearings and the seals, from the parts store.
    If you want a PTO for one of these, good luck (unless you have one). They have a weird 9 bolt mounting pattern.

I think that if you kept an eye on the lube level, the rockwell might be a good strong case. The low range ratio is 1.94:1, so its a hair less than the NP205's.
    no aftermarket goodies for this, either.