Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bmwsma, Mar 13, 2002.

1. bmwsma

bmwsma Registered Member

What axle came standard under the front of a 4wd '79 3/4 ton chevy truck? It's a 44 not a 60 right? Also what's the difference between a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton 14 bolt? There's a post elseware on the boards stating the spring pad's are narrower and that's it. I was wondering if the spline count is the same and the yoke size is the same.

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

You are right on the front axle, a 3/4 should have a dana 44, not a 60. Although something to look for: I believe GM was phasing out the 44's at that time, so some trucks have the GM 10 bolt up front. As to the 3/4 vs 1ton 14 bolt full floater, you are again correct, to the best of my knowledge the only difference is about two inches in distance between the spring pads (1 tons are narrower). Splines and yokes are the same.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Also the shock mounts are different on a 1 ton. They are on the opposite side of the axle compared to a 3/4 ton.

4. bmwsma

bmwsma Registered Member

3/4 ton bolts right into a 88 blazer, right?

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Another thing to mention is a 14 bolt out of a 2wd has the lower shock mounts, ie. they hang down under the axle about 2-3 inches rather than being even with the axle as it would out of a 4x4 14 bolt. I think your shocks should be able to stretch for the occasion though. Might have to dimple the shock tube alittle.

6. RobbieOH

RobbieOH Registered Member

The 3/4 ton front will, its the same dana 44 as the 1/2 ton with new outers w/8 lugs essentially. The 14ff will bolt in, but you need a u-joint #348 from NAPA to mate your 1/2 ton d-shaft with the larger yoke on the 14ff. Up here in Shoreline it cost 31.55 after tax. I've been told the e-brake will hook right up and in comparing mine it appears to do so. Make sure the spring perches are the same width, and other than that I believe it will fit in there. I hope so since I too am doing this in a couple weeks.