Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle inspections

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by yunit, Mar 18, 2001.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I am planning on buying a 1-ton axle setup (D-60 & 14-Bolt), what are the crucial areas to inspect for wear? And how do I identify gear ratio's?

1978 K5, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The gear ratio check can be found lot of other places on the site here, check the main board and do a search.
    A lot of parts on the 1-ton stuff can be expensive, so you're wise to check them out well.
    14 bolt drum brakes cost a small fortune to rebuild, so if they're worn out, I'd put the money toward discs. Look out for that one. Otherwise, make sure the ring and pinion are intact and the bearings are ok in the hubs and pumpkin.
    for the front, check wheel bearings, make sure the spindles are ok, calipers work, etc. If these parts are worn, they're expensive to replace. Make sure the center section is intact, just like the rear. The good thing about the D60 is that the knuckle pivot assemblies are durable and pretty cheap to rebuild, just make sure the hard parts are in good shape.
    Locking hubs are pricey also, make sure they work. Ujoints are pretty expensive, but they also last pretty well.
    Make sure that you get the ubolt plates for the front end when you get the axles, they're expensive and hard to find.
    That's about all I can think of at this point, if anyone else has input, throw it in.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD